11/12/2011 Kipto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
    Oh was that you in the blue top boat I overheard talking about evolve? I saw you guys trying to leave in the middle of the ships. That was a scary crossing. At one point, I surfed the 4 ft waves and decide it was a dumb idea and turn around the peddled head on instead
    Yeah that was us ......I was the guy coughing his head off ....

it was crazy to see waves almost come over the bow .......... on the inside of the ships ........

We never made it past the ships ..... could see the malestrom on the outside of the ships through the holes ....... wasn't pretty

Toadfish told us that it was calm on the VA beach side so we went there and it was manageable ........

Coming home from the second Island on Sunday REALLY made me decide to buy the Torqeedo .......... 20 - 30 mph winds 2-3 ft waves coming from the south and that's the way you had to go ..........this 60 yr old guy would have been toast ......... and it was fairly calm when we went out ....... things change quickly down there ........

but Man did I miss my PA ............ couldn't get close enough to the rocks to fish it effectively for stripers even with the engine running and couldn't anchor close enough to the rocks and pilings to tog properly ......... saw Jetski Brian ....... he wasn't happy because he only caught 20 in 4 hours ....... showed us the 4 on the stringer ........ we caught 1 all day and missed 3 ........

the PA would have been perfect for that kind of fishing ........

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
      Joe,

Blue crab from Lotto. I picked the nice lively big ones to quarter. I kept them alive and not break their claws until i'm ready to quarter them. One of those bastards pinched the heck out of my finger for 30 seconds until i could find a pliers.

What we did was "chum" the area by throwing all the crab parts we didn't use to entice them to come out. Not sure if it mattered but we think it did.
      Dave,
      You meant Lotte in Chantilly - that was the one I've been buying crab from. Chumming sounds good. I think chumming inside the ships will work well. I guess buying additional 2 dozens for chum is not a bad investment for a desperate man like me.

After enjoying tog, does she force you go fishing every day?

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe,

Yes. They have a good selection. I don't think you need 2 dozens. My friend and I only had 8 each. You should have enough chum with the claws and hard shell top itself with the mustard. Once you find one, you'll find his family It took me 6 times before I found the big brothers and sisters.

The wife is tired of taking care of both little ones while i take the whole weekend off. Maybe your's can come and convince her to let me go down 1 more time with you.

Dave

Comment

i bought a dozen blue crabs at oceans east this past weekend and only used a few at CBBT. I froze them when I got home on Sunday, surprising they were all alive, u guys think they will be good for the next trip or will they fall apart on the hook? Never really tried freezing live crabs. I got the skunk at CBBT for tog, looks like i should of hit kipto. Took me 2hrs to get back to shore, the current was off the hook.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I buy them from both Lotte in Chantilly and Fairfax. I think Chantilly has better turn over, so their fish market is generally fresher.

I guess it's relative. I got skunked for togs at Kipto and been wanting to go to CBBT.

I froze the same blue crabs twice. No, it doesn't fall apart on the hook. Apparently, it does spoil quickly, so I think that's why the crab didn't get any nibbles. So, I would freeze them only once at the most. You may not want to take the chance and only use them once after you kill them. After an outing, dump them.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I guess frozen will work but fresh is always best. I would not refreeze them for sure. Once a crab dies, it deteriorates pretty fast. The first trip, I kept them in ice with damp newspaper and they smelled pretty fresh the night after. Last time, I got lazy and just put them in the cooler. When I checked in the hotel, a few had died and you could smell that funk already.

Of all I read, I think they should be around till the lower 50s for water temperature. A local guide I talked to said that the holes facing the bay side holds some nice togs but course i never got a chance to verify due to the wind conditions.

Good luck to all if you go down.

Comment

tufnik,
                Now I see you live in Fairfax. That is good to know.

joe
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I carry a big cooler with ice, wine (if allowed) and crab. If I have more than 6 crab left over I will eat them at home. Crab are multi purpose bait to me

joe

Comment

Working...
                  X