New launch spot led to good catches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New launch spot led to good catches

Each year I purchase an annual pass to use the Queen Anne's County launch ramps and landings. I can get to the Kent Narrows area in 25-30 mins from my house. The water on that side of the bay seems to be cleaner and has more shallow habitat that I like. I have certain favorite launch spots that I use frequently, but have launched from many different QA County locations over the years. Today I looked at the wind forecast and saw fairly strong winds from the SW. To avoid the worst of the wind, I decided to launch from a spot where the land would provide some protection from the wind. I had several candidates in mind but ultimately chose Jackson Creek landing. This is a small stretch of beach facing the Chester River. By land, it is about 1.5 miles east of Kent Narrows. I had to drag my kayak about 15 feet across sand from the parking lot to get to the water (pretty easy).

I launched at 7:45 to flat calm water in front of me. The water level was about half way to high tide. I had done some map study on Google Maps to plan some spots I wanted to check out. I followed my route trolling 3 lines, and after 20 minutes had a bite. As soon as I unhooked the fish, I had more bites. I could not paddle for more than a minute without getting bit again. The kayak I used today has no electronics so I could not tell the depth, other than it was deeper than my paddle, or see schools of fish on a sonar screen. I was not drifting very fast and could stay 50 - 75 yds offshore from a stretch of several houses. After trolling up a few fish, I began casting to them. That worked too and resulted in more fish (up to 24"). They hit several colors of 3" paddletails and an XRap-10 crankbait. I tried throwing topwater for awhile, but had not bites on my popper.

2003-08-01 00-00-03.jpg

After I had caught 15 stripers in about half an hour, I left biting fish to continue exploring. I saw many fishy looking spots along piers and marsh grass edges, but did not get bites there. I rode around for about two hours looking for more fish but had little success. Eventually I turned and headed back toward the launch. As I passed by my hot spot from earlier, the bite started again. I caught one after another again (up to 23" this time) for a total of more than 30 stripers in three hours of fishing.

I spent an enjoyable and productive morning on the water in a new-to-me location. I enjoy trying out new spots with the hope that I can find some fish. Today's trip worked out well. I will file away Jackson Creek landing as a good spot for southerly wind days.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 06-27-2020, 03:09 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Congrats on the good day! I’ve never had luck on that side of the Narrows. Good to know time spent can be productive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Great report John and congrats. I’ve been to Jackson Creek a few times last year and this year. It is a great spot and easy launch. As you said, perfect for a SW wind day.

Comment

Sounds like a really cool spot to try out. My fresh water sites are crowded and not as productive in the past. I need to move on to salt waters.

Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
          Sounds like a really cool spot to try out. My fresh water sites are crowded and not as productive in the past. I need to move on to salt waters.

Laura - I know what you mean. So many people are home and looking for things to do. Many water access points are more crowded than usual. Since Memorial Day, I have fished on 38 of the 46 days and have launched at many different spots, including several new ones. I have had better luck looking for cartop access points rather than launches with boat ramps. There are some good online resources for identifying new spots. Good luck and have fun.

I have an article coming out in an upcoming issue of FishTalk magazine on how to use online resources to help plan your trip. Studying maps, aerial photos, tide tables, weather reports, and Navionics depth information can help you decide where to launch and when to launch. I try to do that type of homework before each trip to improve my chances of finding fish.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the great report John. I always enjoy reading about your trips. Very encouraging.

Comment

Another great report john. Did you run into any other species their?
              MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
              2016 Hobie Outback LE
              Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
              https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                Another great report john. Did you run into any other species their?

My trip there and the original post were made two weeks ago. On that day, I caught plenty of stripers and 1 or 2 perch while trolling. I spent some time casting to marsh grass edges and shallow grass flats hoping for some specks. None showed up. I have not been back to the Jackson Creek launch since then, but will return again soon on a day with southerly winds.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

One last question John about Jackson Creek landing, I was fishing on the Eastern Shore last weekend and decided to take a look at this Chester river landing and noticed on the DNR website that the launch was closed permanently. I did locate the launch and it seemed like a nice place to gain access to the Chester River. The opening to the beach was blocked my two 18 inch high concrete dividers used on roads, I did see two car parked there with kayak racks, so I assumed the carried their kayaks over the barrier.

Do you know if it is ok to use the closed launch and park there, or would you risk getting a ticket?
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Hi John, I went ahead a called the Queen Anne's County Park and Recreation and they said that the landing is open. There is a mistake on google maps, and they thanked me and will get it updated on google maps. The concrete structure is a barricade to stop vehicle and trailer from trying to launch a vessel there. Only hand carried canoe and kayaks are permitted.

I did notice an opening in the fence located away from the beach that you can wheel your kayak through to get to the beach if you do not want to carry it over the concrete barriers.
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Working...
                    X