Kayak wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
    Well, here are my new wheels. Over the Holiday weekend, Surfdog built my Yak wheels (I only held everything as it was being assembled and made a trip to return all the wrong stuff I bought). It was an easy project to do from where I was standing... LOL. Anyway, I'm gonna try to post a pic on here. I'm hoping to someday swap out the Pneumatic tires for a Hobie Type set of wheels. Anyway, Thanks SD
    Tom
    Tom -

The wheels look good. The ones I built this fall are quite similar to yours and have worked well.

I store my kayak inside a walk out basement. I slide the kayak out onto the ground, tilt it on its side, then insert the wheels. I use the wheels to roll my kayak from the backyard, up a slope to the driveway, then roll the bow of the kayak right into the rear of my minivan. Then I can remove the wheels.

Recently I have been launching a lot from Jonas Green park. I found that it is actually easier for me to drag the kayak across the grass and beach using a heavy rope passed through the bow handle than to roll the wheels all the way to the water. Plus, it keeps the wheels from getting exposed to salt water.

If I use a different ramp or launch point where I need to move the kayak a long distance over paved surface, I will certainly use the wheels for those locations.

Enjoy your new accessory.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice wheels guys!

I have a really hard time getting my Hobie cart on when the yak is loaded. The scupper holes are too far forward on the Revo 11 for me to reach them while lifting the yak. I have to turn it on its side to get the cart on, which is difficult when it's loaded. Anybody found a clever way to do it? I don't really want to get in the water.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
        Nice wheels guys!

I have a really hard time getting my Hobie cart on when the yak is loaded. The scupper holes are too far forward on the Revo 11 for me to reach them while lifting the yak. I have to turn it on its side to get the cart on, which is difficult when it's loaded. Anybody found a clever way to do it? I don't really want to get in the water.
        i put the wheels on first then load the yak, when coming back i havent found a real good way to put them back on unless i remove everything that will fall out. i added a new handle behind the seat which helps a lot but was tough getting washers and lock nuts on from the center hatch, longer arm would help

Comment

Working...
        X