No announcement yet.

Propstick for crabbing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Metro- Although I caught some nice fish yesterday, again... next fishing trip I take is to Point Lookout- I want to get a couple of nice specks for the frying pan before they are gone- wouldn't mind experiencing some trophy rock pullage but that is still probably a month or so away-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Trotline baited, and ready to be deployed. That took a while!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Are you attaching the bait directly to the line, or did you make a snood line?

Comment

please takes pics when using this! let us know how it works out, i'm really interested in trying that out
          sigpic

Comment

Huge success. Just over half bushel. Video in the works

Comment

I ended up with about 2.5 dozen of nice dark crabs. A TON of huge females out there . Caught nearly 3 dozen of thos if they were not the same ones. I dont have a motor so I paddled using 13 topless traps. Weather was perfect and just enought current. Had a blast out there. Look forward to video coming soon

Comment

It was a great morning. Perfect weather, with daytime temperatures approaching 82 degrees. The water was calm with less than 5 mph winds and partly cloudy at times. What more can you ask for. I arrived at 6:20 am , then Metroman arrived at 6:30am. The rest of the gang got to Jonas Green 7:15am .

To make a long story short, I finally caught my big perch, 10 in all. The average length was 11 inches with three 12.5 inchers in the mix. I caught many small perch that I released in the 8 to 9 inch range. All perch kept that were kept was over 10 inches. I even caught an 11 inch snapper bluefish and a 6 inch crab that would not let go of my Gulp bait. To bad for him, I ate him tonight. He was fat and full of meat. Grady Black tore up the perch also with his specially made lures. I believe Forestep24 caught over two dozen crabs using at least 12 or 13 traps I think. Going to deeper water was the ticket for catching good crabs. I hung out with Metroman while he was deploying his 300 foot crab line with snoods for the first time. Everything was going well. The only issue that he really had was that he needed heavier weights for his trot line. As he said, he caught a half bushel of beautiful crabs on chicken neck.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by moc; 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Some More Pics of the day. The earlier bucket of perch pictures were from me and Grady. Mine was the orange bucket and Grady was the white one. Metroman had his crabs in a 5 gallon bucket and Foursteps24 had his crabs in a cooler on the back of his yak.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by moc; 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks Moc for the pictures . Hopefully we can get out there again before the season is over

Comment

nice job all! i made a trot line last year. i baited the line with chicken necks a put it in the freezer so it would be ready to go. well, that was a bad idea! the line got all tangled when i took it out, big mess. ended up throwing it away! that was the last of my trot line days. i ended up buying a dozen collapsible traps.
                      Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Sardine the traps worked really well. I bait my traps before launching then all I have to do is drop them when I get out there. I just go out with the traps between my legs and that works for me rather than the area behind me.

Comment

With no further delay...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9MCz_XJNo

Comment

Cool-
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Very cool. Nice video and definitely good eats at the end.
                              Kayak crabbing is definitely something to add to the Big List of Things I Gotta Try.

Comment

Great video, you successfully captured the moments from deploying the line and catching crabs from the water to the dinner table. I just love tastey crustaceans.....

Comment

Working...
                                X