Limited out on trout 11-17-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited out on trout 11-17-2018

I headed down to Virginia Beach at 2:30am in the morning to fish the Rudee Inlet for several days. The weather was perfect down there with temperature in the 50's and 4 to 8 mph winds. At times we could not keep the fish off our lines, however, you had to go through 20 or at times 30 fish to catch a keeper. Here is a video of the my time down there playing with the trout...

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Martin,

Congratulations to you and Jeff and Goody for a fun trip. You guys certainly didn't lack for pullage.

I don't recall ever catching a speck while trolling like you did in your video. They must have been aggressive during your trip. I've always cast for them. I've caught a few on topwater, some on flies, but by far I've caught most with a jig and soft plastic.

Sometimes they are quite finicky and I've had to have to finesse them to bite by slowly working the lure. They'll tap, tap, tap and then drop it or hold it softly. I've found it helps to give them line/slack when they're tentative before setting the hook.

Anyway, for fish with impressive teeth, speckled trout can be exasperating to catch because they don't always feed by slashing through schools of baitfish and they don't always attack lures. You guys did very well.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going on the Specks Moc, they are fun to catch-and good eating also.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

It looks like you'll be eating specks for quite awhile this winter! Nice trip.
        Brian

Comment

It was a great trip with good weather. Many of the fish were eaten on Thanks Giving and they were sweet.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Good work Martin. I wish specks were more common in our local waters.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
            X