Tuckahoe Lake Near Queen Annes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuckahoe Lake Near Queen Annes

Today we fished Tuckahoe Lake, which is off 404 on the eastern shore. Having never visited this lake before, I have no idea what is normal but I suspect the lake has had conditions recently that were anything but "normal".

The creek which feeds into the lake had some fairly swift currents and in several spots we saw vegetation piled up several feet high. Near the creek's entrance into the lake there were lots of large logs and piles of fresh branches and brush.

Below the dam the piles of debris were much higher. Several trees were down across the creek and there were large piles of sand and stones in several spots. Also some asphalt had been broken loose along the roadway and moved, as if flooding had recently crested above the roadway and bridge.

The water was up into the weeds which surround the lower part of the lake. Early in the morning, we got plenty of bites by casting small jigs as close to the weeds as possible. We caught good numbers of crappie and small bluegill until the sun broke out of the morning mist.

The reason for the abundance of fish near the damn may have been two-fold. First, it looked like the flooding pushed anything smaller than an army tank downstream.

Second, the weeds were alive with thousands of grasshoppers. Obviously there was plenty of forage and we could see swirls as the fish appeared to be almost beaching themselves to get at the insects.

The creek below the dam looks interesting, but not under the present conditions. I can only imagine how things must be north of us.
Working...
X