Torqeedo on an Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torqeedo on an Outback

Done!! I extended the tube to allow the motor to hang off the back behind the rudder. It only comes with a 15 and 1/5 inch long pipe in 30mm. I used a cheap cutting board as a wedge to lift the ball and socket joint. Now I just need to get it on the water.

IMG_20180225_1435049_rewind.jpg

IMG_20180225_1443205_rewind.jpg

IMG_20180225_1437066_rewind.jpg

IMG_20180225_1435587_rewind.jpg
    2017 Hobie PA14

Very nice, professional-looking job - well done!

Q: How is the tube attached/clamped to the hull? Is the attachment point reinforced with a backing plate?
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

It uses a ball and socket type fitting. It does come with a backer plate, however I used a plastic cutting board instead. The one that comes with it is not very big and I wanted a wider area of support.

IMG_20180226_1605545_rewind.jpg
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
        It uses a ball and socket type fitting. It does come with a backer plate, however I used a plastic cutting board instead. The one that comes with it is not very big and I wanted a wider area of support.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23023[/ATTACH]
        Got it now. Thanks for the pic, that helped.
        Good luck with your sweet, new mod. Can’t wait to hear how it does on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks. I'm looking to get out this Saturday weather permitting.
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Okay so here is my report from this Sunday. I was able to get up to about 5.0 MPH with the motor on the back. I fished for about 4 hours and still had 70% of my battery life left. However I just used it to go to a spot and then fish then move to the next area. I did not troll all day with it. With the motor hanging being behind the rudder I noticed that turning was "slower" when compared to just the MD 180. Also make sure your drive is in the forward position and NOT reverse. It will make your fins slap up tight to the underside. I did it twice not good. I was very pleased with everything and how it worked. Can't wait for Stripper Season to get here.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
              Can't wait for Stripper Season to get here.
              Striper Season is pretty fun too :-)
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Now that's a meet-n-greet that would have high attendance!
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

If we can get a big enough interest I’ll schedule it .
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I realize that you may not want to give up your rudder. However, it would be more efficient to have the motor rigged up directly to the steering cables. The steering would be more responsive, as you would be steering with the motor thrust. I had a BassYak rigged that way on one of my former kayaks. I have been using a torqeedo on my ProAnger for a few years now. You will really appreciate the motor when trolling. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X