Fish finder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish finder problem

I'm down in florida and I'm having problems. I have a distance 5 hid. After I power it up it's runs for 2 or 3 minutes and then shuts off. If I power it up again it does the same thing. The connections seem to be ok. I'm not sure how to check them.

That should read lowrance 5 hdi

Comment

Have you checked the voltage on the battery? Might not be producing a strong enough charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
        Have you checked the voltage on the battery? Might not be producing a strong enough charge.
        I suspect that's the problem.

I had the same FF and encountered the same problem. It stopped when I got a new battery. Also, I used dielectric grease on the connections to the FF.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I agree it's more than likely the battery either needing charge or not holding it. That's the great thing with using Lithium batteries for power. One doesn't run into decreasing voltage as with sla, they hold their 13.1 voltage through the run cycle, are small for the amount of ah they provide also are very light weight. I use the Nocqua 10ah and they are well worth the money. I know that doesn't help you now but food for thought.

Comment

I ordered two 9ahr. 12 volt AGM batteries a couple of years ago from EBay to use in the Hobie battery holder in the rear hatch of my Outback (fits it perfectly)...I swap out the battery after every trip and recharge the used one- never had any issues at all with them- like new today...and the key is a fully-charged fresh battery...and they were CHEAP...like 15-20 bucks apiece with free shipping...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have 3 batteries one of which is a brand new 14 amp hour battery. I also have dialectic grease on the connections

Comment

Do you have an in-line fuse? If so, that could be the culprit...I have had lots of issues with those fuses...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I would agree it is likely a bad connection especially if you have tried multiple batteries. I know I have had similar symptoms with my HDI-5 and it was my inline fuse holder causing the issue. The best way to test it is remove all the connectors and hook it up directly to power (bare wire to battery terminals) to see if it stays on. If you verify its the wiring I would redo everything with all new connectors. When doing a rebuild spend the extra money and get good marine grade connectors and fuses.

If you are still having the issue, I have the same fish finder and would be willing to let you test it on my setup.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I had a 5” elite and every now and then it would do something similar. In addition to the battery, I would try resetting the unit. I can’t remember exactly how I did it but I’m pretty sure you turn it off, turn it on, and immediately hold down the pages button until it resets. It’s kind of annoying bc it deletes your settings but worth it... because it works.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      Do you have an in-line fuse? If so, that could be the culprit...I have had lots of issues with those fuses...
                      mike o,

I had the exact same problem with my unit (shuts off after a few minutes). Like Ron suggests, it was the inline fuse.

A trip to Radio Shack, some waterproof crimps and some heat-shrink tubing around the crimps for good measure and the unit is back up and operational.

Hope that helps.
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions I will check the online fuse. Tomorrow. I am in florida and lan to fish the 1000 islands area tomorrow. I could really use a working gps.

Comment

Working...
                        X