Southwest florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest florida

I've been fishing near Venice florida the past week. I've fished lemon bay, Roberts bay and the Myakka river. I haven't done real well. The weather has been in the upper 80s to 90 degrees. I've probably caught 15 snook, none of them big and 2 slot redfish. I also got a nice Spanish mackerel a first for me. I also snagged a small spade fish also a first ,if that counts, while jigging for mangrove snapper. I got about 15 but they were small. There are lady fish, jacks and catfish to be had but I'm concentrating on snook and redfish. Water temp 79 in the bays and 75 in the river.

Some pics 20180223_100133.jpgxtra[ATTACH20180219_084450.jpg20180217_121456.jpgghost=CONFIG]23008[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like fun.

Glad to hear the snook are present.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sadly, Florida Gulf coast snook took a serious hit during the January freeze. In five days of fishing in Tampa Bay last week, I did not see or hook a single snook. I caught one redfish. You are doing well to find a few of both species. Without really good local knowledge it is a tough time to find those preferred game fish. Fortunately you can get some great pullage from some of the other species, like ladyfish and jacks. Enjoy the warm weather there.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've been told the snook in this area made it through the freeze ok. I've also been told locals are catching 40 snook a night throwing live shrimp under docks after dark. I may give it a try.

Comment

Sounds like you are crossing a lot of species off the 'bucket list' - Congrats & Enjoy that weather!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks, I am crossing some species off. I was hoping to try for peacock bass while I am down here. There are a couple in a pond that is behind my buddies condo but don't know if I will get to fish it. Caught a much bigger spade fish the other dayabx another fish I had to look up, a yellow tail bream. 20180226_085016.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                I've been fishing near Venice florida the past week. I've fished lemon bay, Roberts bay and the Myakka river. I haven't done real well. The weather has been in the upper 80s to 90 degrees. I've probably caught 15 snook, none of them big and 2 slot redfish. I also got a nice Spanish mackerel a first for me. I also snagged a small spade fish also a first ,if that counts, while jigging for mangrove snapper. I got about 15 but they were small. There are lady fish, jacks and catfish to be had but I'm concentrating on snook and redfish. Water temp 79 in the bays and 75 in the river.
                It's good that you're seeing variety at least. I have no experience with that side of Florida, I only fished the East coast briefly while I was there in the Fall. If you can, I would talk to whoever you know down there and concentrate on the Spanish mackerel. They seemed to be the most reliable catch, at least on the East coast. Mangrove snapper are very tasty, we caught a few, but keeper size ones were few and far between.

Comment

I am getting variety down here. I fowl hooked 2 sheepshead today Gordon's pass which puts me at 12 species down here. Yesterday I got a couple ponds and got a nice bass. The day before I hit estero bay and got 9 small snook. Tomorrow back to reality I'm heading home

Comment

Working...
                  X