Newport News or surrounding area Kayak or Charter fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newport News or surrounding area Kayak or Charter fishing

I am going to be in the Newport News area mid march for 2 weeks, and would like to get some fishing in while in town. I would love to bring my gear and yak but likely won't have room along with my work stuff, not to mention no real secure storage.

Can anyone recommend some decent local guides either Kayak or on a charter boat? Willing to drive an hour or so to fish and looking from the map that includes the CBBT. Shore fishing Is also an option if there any good spots from shore or a pier as well near by.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

The wooden Pier on the Ocenfront in Virginia Beach is always a possibility as is the Lynnhaven Pier...mid March can be boom or bust depending on weather conditions- March is a tough month to predict...April is the real “opening Act” in Tidewater...fishing gets good and stays good...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      The wooden Pier on the Ocenfront in Virginia Beach is always a possibility as is the Lynnhaven Pier...
      The Lynnhaven pier was recently sold and is permanently closed. Buckroe fishing pier may be closer, since you are staying in Newport News. There are areas you can shore fish at Rudee and Lynnhaven. Tog should be starting to become more active by then for the CBBT. The only guide I can think of is "First Landing Kayak Fishing Services", but I don't know when the season starts up for them.
      J

Comment

Thanks, I am looking to see if there are any Tog charters going on. Looks like most of them go offshore to the wrecks so it won't be on a yak. I wish I could push back the work trip to April since then I would find a way to bring the Kayak and get in on the good bite.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post
          I wish I could push back the work trip to April since then I would find a way to bring the Kayak and get in on the good bite.
          That's my thought on every work trip I schedule! Sometimes they line up, but most times they do not
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Check out Cory Routh of Ruthless Outdoor Adventures. https://www.ruthlessoutdooradventures.com/

Cory is a long-time kayak fishing guide. He put me on my first ever redfish in 2008. He fishes around the Virginia Beach area.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Check out Cory Routh of Ruthless Outdoor Adventures. https://www.ruthlessoutdooradventures.com/

Cory is a long-time kayak fishing guide. He put me on my first ever redfish in 2008. He fishes around the Virginia Beach area.
              Thanks, he was booked up already. I have been striking out everywhere. If the charter even bothers to respond they are booked or aren't doing trips since its "too early". Will probably go down to the area and see if I can get a walk on somewhere.
              Mike

Comment

Thanks for the responses, the only trip I could find running was a Tog Headboat out of Rudee. We spent the entire trip running from wreck to wreck and I was one of the fortunate 5 people on the boat who caught a Tog and only one of those was a keeper (not me). Tons of Dogfish though so at least everyone got some pullage. Some of the people on the boat even took the Dogfish home to eat them

Still always fun to get out on the water, catch my first Tog ever, learned a bit about wreck fishing and learned how to properly using a conventional style reel.
                Mike

Comment

I know you went on the tog, but if you have the time and money, also try the Rudee Angler for their Deep Drop Trip....is a 17 hour trip with plenty of pullage and fish to take home.
                  MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                    I know you went on the tog, but if you have the time and money, also try the Rudee Angler for their Deep Drop Trip....is a 17 hour trip with plenty of pullage and fish to take home.
                    That was actually the boat I went out on. The mate was saying they haven't ran many other trips this month because of the bad weather/winds, and this was the first Tog trip of the year. Would love to try the 17 hour trip but will be heading back on friday so I can get back out on my yak.

Still a very good boat had a friendly knowledgeable staff and the captain did allot of running going from reef to reef to try to find a good bite.
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X