Trolling Motor for Lake Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor for Lake Fishing

Liberty Reservoir is huge (11 miles long with 81 miles of shoreline), so I'm thinking of adding a trolling motor to my yak to extend my fishing hole possibilities. Because I'm fishing at LR, I'll need to stick with an electric motor and obviously get my yak permitted by the state.

What would you suggest is the best motor/mount/battery combination I should use that would be the most efficient for lake fishing? I'd like to invest in a setup that would allow me to swap the motor from my single to my tandem yak. I'd still very much like to paddle when I get to my chosen area so added weight to the yak would be a consideration.

If you could let me know the following regarding your suggested combination it would be much appreciated:
    1. Approximate weight added to boat (motor/mount/battery)
    2. Approximate cost of setup
    3. Speed vs. Run time
    4. Is it worth to invest in a rudder when using an electric motor?

Thanks,

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Liberty does not allow kayaks to have motors.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I cover 10 Miles pretty easily trolling in my Hobie, usually at about 3mph. I would imagine fishing liberty that your doing a lot more casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Liberty does not allow kayaks to have motors.
        I was going to correct Big Mike, but I did some more research, and HE IS CORRECT

Kayaks are permitted on both Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs. The use of motors or sails on kayaks is prohibited (page 2, bullet point #15) per the 2017 application below:

https://publicworks.baltimorecity.go...20-%202017.pdf
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
          I was going to correct Big Mike, but I did some more research, and HE IS CORRECT

Kayaks are permitted on both Liberty and Prettyboy Reservoirs. The use of motors or sails on kayaks is prohibited (page 2, bullet point #15) per the 2017 application below:

https://publicworks.baltimorecity.go...20-%202017.pdf

Hmmm... you are correct.

It also says on bullet #5 of the 2018 application that "propulsion shall be by rowing or battery-powered electric outboard motors. Sails, gasoline-powered or propane-powered motors may not be used."

I'm going to call the Liberty Reservoir helpline to confirm (410-795-6151). Thanks for pointing this out.

That being said, i was thinking of using my tandem @ Piney Run which does not mention any restriction on electric motors for kayaks. Any thoughts on what kind of electric setup I should be looking at?

smithmal
          smithmal

Comment

I thought you had posted the 2018 application recently, but I couldn't find it via google search this morning.

I'd also like a clarification if that rule/reg has changed for the 2018 season? They seem to contradict themselves, so one could argue (if cited by DNR, etc.) that the regulations are worded to allow electrically powered vessel.

Might have to put my application in!!!

Comment

It’s not a DNR rule ......... it’s a Baltimore city rule. I called them years ago and they said no electric motors on yaks but would not give a reason

Comment

I called and they verified that kayaks with electric motors are not allowed on Liberty Reservoir. I asked why and was told that the reasons Baltimore City was initially against allowing kayaks in the reservoir at all was due to their portability (ie. ability to transport it to various bodies of water which is odd since jon boats are as portable as kayaks). They relented when individuals indicated they wanted to have the simplicity of paddling on the lake. Since the reason for allowing kayaks onto the lake was for individuals that wanted to paddle, they see no reason to allow yaks to have motors.

They also mentioned a safety factor issue when adding a motor to a kayak.

I'm wondering if the Native Ultimate 12 would be defined as a kayak or a canoe by the City of Baltimore.... The U12 is characterized as a kayak/canoe hybrid (see link: http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12). Do you think I could get away with permitting my U12 as a canoe and adding an electric motor?

smithmal
                smithmal

Comment

If there's a will, there's a way. Since the applications are limited, i'd submit your documentation as it being a Canoe, as it would be to your benefit. Last week I fished with both Mark & John R (both had Ultimate 12's on the water) and aside from already knowing Native Watercraft details via John Veil, I would think it would be an easy persuation as a layman to lobby it as a being a Canoe. I'd recommend you research the definitive term, i.e. lets say for argument that a Canoe can only be constructed of wood or metal, which would negate your efforts alltogether. I think its worth a shot - but more research is required.
                  Last edited by mchottie; 02-21-2018, 04:43 PM. Reason: wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                    If there's a will, there's a way. Since the applications are limited, i'd submit your documentation as it being a Canoe, as it would be to your benefit. Last week I fished with both Mark & John R (both had Ultimate 12's on the water) and aside from already knowing Native Watercraft details via John Veil, I would think it would be an easy persuation as a layman to lobby it as a being a Canoe. I'd recommend you research the definitive term, i.e. lets say for argument that a Canoe can only be constructed of wood or metal, which would negate your efforts alltogether. I think its worth a shot - but more research is required.

Yes, I'm a bit stumped on this one. Canoes can be made of plastic (for example check out the Mad River Canoe) and can also have sit inside stadium seats (for example, check out the Fusion Canoe from Wenonah). The Fusion even has foot rests and a rudder. To me, the Fusion looks like a Native U12.

From a design standpoint, I'd say the biggest difference between a canoe and a kayak are:
                    • Canoes have open decks whereas kayak's typically have closed decks
                    • Canoes are sit inside whereas kayaks can be both SINK and SOT
                    • Canoes typically have 2-3 seats whereas kayaks use one (though of course there are tandem kayaks)
                    • Canoes typically use one bladed paddles whereas kayaks use two bladed paddles (there are fishing canoes that are sold and specifically suggest using two bladed kayak type paddles)

From my list above, the U12 has more attributes of a canoe than a kayak. Native probably brands the U12 as a fishing kayak rather than a fishing canoe to get more profit since fishing kayaks are all the rage these days.

smithmal
                    smithmal

Comment

I sent John Veil a PM to weigh-in on this discussion, as he is Native Pro-Staff.

Knowledge is power, and I think this is a great discussion to have on the board. John may also have contacts at Native HQ that may weigh-in, and I would assume documentation from the actual vessel manufacturer may also 'greatly' help your case.

Comment

Thanks! I've met both John and Mark. Mark let me demo his U12 and was the one that initially got me on board the "U12 train." I met John last year and purchased a used LJ from him. Both are great guys.

smithmal
                        smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                          Native probably brands the U12 as a fishing kayak rather than a fishing canoe to get more profit since fishing kayaks are all the rage these days.

smithmal
                          Native sells only kayaks -- no canoes. The Ultimate 12 is an older but a unique hull design. Native describes it on their website as "The original stand up fishing hybrid (featuring our patented Tunnel Hull technology) lowers your center of gravity to make standing while sight casting a breeze." I acknowledge that it shares some features of a kayak and a canoe. Whether you can convince a government agency to let you use a motor is up to your creativity and persistence.

Now to the point of whether it makes sense to add an electric motor (and large battery) to what is a simple, lightweight boat. The Ultimate is designed as a lightweight, maneuverable, and roomy paddle kayak. The weight capacity is listed at 350 lbs - consider your body weight, and how much your tackle, other accessories, motor, and battery will weigh.

At one time Native offered an electric motor mounting bracket (see https://www.austinkayak.com/products...tor-Mount.html). This is not being made any longer and appears to be out of stock from several leading vendors.

Although I use an electric trolling motor on my center console boat, I have no desire to add one on my kayaks. Consequently, I don't pay a lot of attention to the kayak motors on the market or how users install them. There are two online resources that may have more information.

1) Native Owners Group website (operated by Get Outdoors - a Native dealer, not by Native itself) http://nativeownersgroup.com/. There is a separate forum for Ultimate discussions.

2) Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/231976636990928/.

You can probably find out more about trolling motors on Ultimates there. Please keep in mind that the original Ultimates (like Smithmal owns) is different from the newer Ultimate FX series.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I enjoy my Ultimate 12 so much, I recently bought its big brother, the Ultimate 14.5.

UA.jpg UC.jpg

I first became acquainted with the 14.5 during guided fishing trips in FL. It's a very popular boat there.

I have no plans to mechanize either. They both glide nicely under paddle power and they're both very stable. The 14.5 is rated for an extra 100 pounds of capacity.

I'll reserve the 14.5 for bigger water when I feel like paddling in lieu of pedaling my Revo. I'll also use it to take my granddaughters for rides in the Bodkin from the new Downs Park launch.
                            Last edited by Mark; 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              Native sells only kayaks -- no canoes. The Ultimate 12 is an older but a unique hull design. Native describes it on their website as "The original stand up fishing hybrid (featuring our patented Tunnel Hull technology) lowers your center of gravity to make standing while sight casting a breeze." I acknowledge that it shares some features of a kayak and a canoe. Whether you can convince a government agency to let you use a motor is up to your creativity and persistence.

Now to the point of whether it makes sense to add an electric motor (and large battery) to what is a simple, lightweight boat. The Ultimate is designed as a lightweight, maneuverable, and roomy paddle kayak. The weight capacity is listed at 350 lbs - consider your body weight, and how much your tackle, other accessories, motor, and battery will weigh.

At one time Native offered an electric motor mounting bracket (see https://www.austinkayak.com/products...tor-Mount.html). This is not being made any longer and appears to be out of stock from several leading vendors.

Although I use an electric trolling motor on my center console boat, I have no desire to add one on my kayaks. Consequently, I don't pay a lot of attention to the kayak motors on the market or how users install them. There are two online resources that may have more information.

1) Native Owners Group website (operated by Get Outdoors - a Native dealer, not by Native itself) http://nativeownersgroup.com/. There is a separate forum for Ultimate discussions.

2) Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/231976636990928/.

You can probably find out more about trolling motors on Ultimates there. Please keep in mind that the original Ultimates (like Smithmal owns) is different from the newer Ultimate FX series.
                              John,

Thanks for your response and the links that you provided. In your opinion, what defines the design parameters that differentiate a canoe vs a kayak? As I mentioned above, the U12 displays many of the design parameters of a canoe (hence it's "hybrid" connotation). Of the the issues you brought its possible that weight capacity of a boat would be a definite issue that the city could bring up (since generally canoes have much higher weight capacities vs. kayaks).

Thanks,

smithmal
                              smithmal

Comment

Working...
                              X