Red and hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red and hot

As for the "red" part of the title, I fished near Dunedin, FL today and caught a frisky redfish in the mid-20s. It was my largest in several recent trips with Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. It hit a 12 Fathom 3" Fat Sam Mullet paddletail on a 1/8-oz jighead.

2003-08-04 20-48-04.jpg

Yesterday I had a dolphin come up right in front of me.

2003-08-01 00-00-07.jpg

As for the "hot", the weather has been in the low 80s and sunny since I arrived here a few days ago. After finishing up this afternoon, we drove half a mile along the beach. I saw several dozen women and girls sunning in bathing suits -- not something I would expect to find in Maryland these days.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great report. I was on the Atlantic side this week with the intention of hitting Mosquito, but the conditions were too good to pass up glass-like conditions out front to try our luck on sails. After three days of hard fishing, no luck on sails,plenty of kings, blacks, a wahoo and tons of wreck fish.
    Btw, Dunedin is great town, love to retire there.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Very nice red John! Send some of that warm weather up this way.
      J

Comment

Congrats on the good-looking redfish!
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Nice redfish John.

I wouldn't say it was hot here today but we actually weren't far behind you in temperature. At least the variance was smaller than should have been given the month. It was unseasonably warm in MD today, but I must admit I saw no one sunning themselves in bathing suits on bank of Smithville Lake.

However, I put Fat Sam to work up here just as you did in FL. I nailed a pickerel with mine on a weedless hook.

Congrats on your catches and the scenery.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I just read an article from The Baltimore Sun:

Originally posted by The Baltimore Sun View Post
            Just days after a light snow fell on the region, the Baltimore area tied an 88-year-old heat record Tuesday, according to National Weather Service data.

Temperatures hit 76 degrees at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport on Tuesday afternoon, matching the record high for Feb. 20 set in 1930. The average high for Feb. 20 is 46 degrees.
            Enjoy Florida, I doubt this 'heat stroke' will last long enough for me to enjoy a weekend day on the water!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I finished up the Tampa trip yesterday by catching one personal best (18" jack crevalle) and matching a second personal best (22" ladyfish). I was paddling across a grass flat of 18" depth and saw several pods of bait fleeing for their lives. I cast beyond the melee and was immediately hooked up. This was followed by 15-20 seconds of screaming drag as the fish showed its displeasure. Ten minutes later, I landed the tired jack. That was the hardest pulling fish of the trip (stronger than my 24" red or my 22" ladyfish).

Apparently the thrashing jack splashed water on part of my camera lens. I got a shot of most of the body but a blurred head. Fortunately I took a closeup of the head in a second shot.

2003-08-01 00-01-53.jpg 2003-08-01 00-01-46.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Now that's what a FL trip should be like!

Glad you got into them.

Your jack was a good one. And ladyfish are a blast. I love it when they go airborne.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That 'water splash' sounds like what i'm hoping to capture via GoPro on some trips this summer!

Awesome end to the trip!
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

John,

I love catching JCs. I think they are an under-appreciated species. They provide a great fight on light tackle and are quite photogenic (as your pics prove). Congrats on a good day!
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                    X