Hitting CCNPP tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting CCNPP tomorrow

Launching from the Nature Park. If anyone joins me, don’t leave home without a cart. It’s about 1/2 a mile from the parking lot to the launch.

I’ve never fished with anyone from here so I’d love the company.

PS I’ve fished CCNPP before in a kayak. If the winds are calm like they are supposed to be tomorrow, it can be nice.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Looking forward to a report! Good luck! I’ve always wondered about launching there after hiking that trail one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

It’s definitely doable with a cart.
      Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp

Comment

So it seems like CCNPP (Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant) isn’t a common spot for kayakers so I thought I’d write a fishing report.

First off, as previously mentioned, you have to bring a kayak cart. The parking lot at Flag Ponds Nature Park is WAY up a hill from the beach. At the top of the hill they have a sign stating that no cars are allowed beyond that point. The worst part of the hill is right at the beginning (or end when you’re coming back). As you cart down the road, there’s an option to turn right to the pier. Turn right. It’s closer as the crow flies to go to the beach instead, but your cart won’t pull well through the sand. If you go towards the pier, there is a wooden walkway that takes you 15 feet from the water. The launch is about as easy as it gets.

Once in the water, it’s a 10 minute paddle to the rip where the power plant is. Usually you’ll see boats there already.

510A5387-2E1B-4D98-8E36-601267297DCC.jpg

If you’re lucky and there are no boats, just paddle south 10 minutes. You can’t miss it.

9709C692-0B72-4693-AE53-1B6F1E636910.jpg

As for the rip itself, the plant discharges warm water that makes baitfish easy prey for our striped friends. People look at you like you’re Eval Kaneval out there in a yak, like you’re doing the most dangerous thing ever, but I don’t feel any more in danger there than anywhere else on the bay.

Now to the fishing, today I did what almost everyone else does at CCNPP: I threw 6 and 10” BKDs with 1.5oz jig heads and bounced them in and around the rip. Today was slow but I did manage one 18”.

5A91A2D1-8280-4C5B-BD13-1A38EBA2F3AF.jpg

Now getting out of there is the part that may make you rethink the trip. You can either be honest and pull your yak up a 300’ section of steep hill or do what I do and pull my kayak up to the bottom of the hill and drive past the do not enter and load up at the base of the steep hill.

As a side note, there is a handicap parking lot much closer to the water.
        Last edited by CHOC; 02-19-2018, 07:57 PM.
        Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp

Comment

Good report, I really appreciate the info. The discharge is defiantly one of those places I’ve always wanted to fish...just have never justified the trip. It’s a long haul from Westminster. Glad to see the old ultra getting some action! Amazing yak, looks like your putting it to good use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Yeah. It’s a great boat. Until I get too old to paddle, I’ll probably be fishing out of it. Might end up putting a torqueedo on it some time soon. There’s just too many instances where I need to fish and maneuver at the same time.
            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp

Comment

Working...
            X