Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of doing Liberty res (and pretty boy) this summer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of doing Liberty res (and pretty boy) this summer.

I have been doing mostly bay fishing since I started a few years back. Now I am thinking of branching out and getting a Liberty Res pass for the '18 year. If I do it will mean I spend most of my fishing time there and less in the bay (but will always do the CBKA tourney in September, of course). I like the fact I can learn a smaller body of water easier and quicker compared to the multiple launches in the bay.

Not giving up on the bay by any means but thinking of changing focus to the reservoir. And the fact I purchased a house fairly close to it does not hurt either.

I own two kayaks and a wooden row boat.. will probably register the rowboat for the reservoir and keep the kayaks for the bay (you have to dedicate the boat to only that reservoir if you get a permit). I am not the kind of person to bend rules like that so I will adhere to the restriction.

I talked to some of the Liberty Reservoir folk on the face book site and they are as nice as you snaggedliners are (and some of you are probably them..)

Anyways no real question here.. just putting out what is on my mind... (and this dang cold is making me cabin feverish).
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Hi Pat,

I have fished Liberty for many years, unless you are thinking of putting a electric trolling motor on the wooden row boat I would recommend just dedicating a kayak to Liberty and Pretty Boy and using the other kayak for the bay and tribs. Although it is a "smaller" body of water, I would not say it is small. Anytime you have decent wind, crossing the lake in a row boat would be less than fun and the nice part about Liberty is that there are so many coves that you can almost always fish it in any wind. However, if minimal wind, a wooden row boat would work well.

Comment

According to the rules you can not use a boat/vessel that you have used in another body of water on the Liberty Resevoir. It has to be a unit that is dedicated to only their three resevoirs. You must sign an affidavid stating so. You also can not use a motorized kayak. There reason for this is to eliminate the introduction of Zebra Mussels into the water shed. So as stated above another kayak, jon boat or row boat as a resevoir rig is a good choice.

Comment

I looked into this also. I've heard the number of permits are limited so no guarantee to get one. Also penalties for violating rules is stiff.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I am a dedicated kayak fisherman of liberty reservoir. I pass it on my way to work. I keep my Hobie Mirage Drive outback locked there. It may be a smaller body of water then the Chesapeake Bay, but it is by no means a small water feel! You would need an electric motor for rowboat. Wind and unsafe conditions have been extremely quickly. There was only one launch site essentially. I am in good shape and can travel a few miles with my Mirage Drive on a dedicated day. The fish in there are smart and well fed and not easily caught. Don’t waste any time until after May 1. You can do well with largemouth and smallmouth as well as perch but it is a significant undertaking and takes a long time to learn the reservoir. It is beautiful and awesome and there are plenty of smallmouth over 6 pounds in there. Just really hard to find and catch. Lots of carp in there too. It is rather heavily patrolled at times. You won’t make it out of the first Cove if you plan on rowing by hand in a rowboat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The row boat I have is a dedicated row boat (as opposed to a john boat with oars). It is pointy in the front and pointy in the back and uses 8 foot oars. I could maintain a 3mph for a couple hours in it.. someone NOT old and fat could do better.

It is pretty light, around 100lbs.. which is similar to my kayaks actually.

Here is a link to a video showing off the boat (this is not me but rather the owner of Chesapeake Light craft).
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaJpSck4qg

Having said that... I do have an electric trolling motor for it.. because I am lazy and feel fishing is about getting fish.. not exercise

Comment

Liberty also has stripers up to 50 lbs .......... and a spawning population

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
                The row boat I have is a dedicated row boat (as opposed to a john boat with oars). It is pointy in the front and pointy in the back and uses 8 foot oars. I could maintain a 3mph for a couple hours in it.. someone NOT old and fat could do better.

It is pretty light, around 100lbs.. which is similar to my kayaks actually.

Here is a link to a video showing off the boat (this is not me but rather the owner of Chesapeake Light craft).
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaJpSck4qg

Having said that... I do have an electric trolling motor for it.. because I am lazy and feel fishing is about getting fish.. not exercise
                That's an impressive boat. Did you build yours?
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yes it has taken me an embarrassing amount of time to do it.. really.. it could have been done in a week.. but it took me.. MUCH longer. I still have to paint mine but that will be done in early March/April.

I was a REAL lot of fun to build.. I will be building another bigger one after this one... it is a very satisfying hobby to make something and then use it to fish in.

Comment

I regularly fish @ Liberty as well.

This is the first week that they will be processing applications so if you are interested, get your application in now.

Here's a link to the 2018 application and the rules for boating @ Liberty:
                    https://publicworks.baltimorecity.go...pplication.pdf

BTW, I asked them about electric motors and you can add a motor to your existing application later in the year if you decide to go that route.

I've went yaking @ liberty several times late last year. I basically stayed close (a little past the bridge) and just enjoyed the yaking and trying some various rig setups. The ramp is large and smooth cement with easy access. I prefered the 1st ramp near the bridge vs. the second ramp. Parking is a little limited though practically no one is there @ sunrise so if you want to get an early start, you should have no issue.

smithmal
                    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Pat, Liberty is a great body of water. I've fished it exclusively for the past three seasons, and although I'm still learning, I find it enjoyable every time I fish there. I recently purchased a kayak--Ascend 12t--and will launch it for the first time this season, as soon as my doctor says I can. I have a torn right biceps tendon and am getting MRI this week. However, my best friend has recently upgraded to a larger boat and I will be fishing with him very soon. I may have to cast underhanded/left-handed, or just watch, but I will be out there.

I too have cabin fever...

Comment

Liberty is beautiful......... Prettyboy reminds me of a Canadian lake .......... both peaceful and beautiful

Comment

Working...
                        X