Marshall Hall Invite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Hall Invite

So my friend Matt and I are launching our kayaks tomorrow morning from Marshall Hall, and probably using the shoreline to launch since the ramp is closed. All are welcome to join us, should get there around 7-7:15 and are planning to fish until 12:30 or 1. The plan is to anchor up and fish for blue catfish, I know a good spot in the river that's yielded a fair amount of them in the 3x I've fished it.

Snow/rain are forecasted in the late afternoon, which will be a bigger deal for up north where we live, so as long as that forecast stays the same, we will be going out tomorrow. If it changes by tomorrow morning, we may be altering our plans. If anyone is coming from the Baltimore or Carroll County area, you're welcome to convoy with us down there. I'm meeting Matt at a park and ride and we are driving down in my truck from there. Just message me if you'd like to join us, and I can give you my #

Wish I saw this , already repeating meet and greet
    Snow Camo Lure 11.5
    Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
    Hummingbird Helix 5
    Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Tomorrow isn’t in the cards for me but I really want to get down there some time mid march

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a great day down there. I ended up with 9 or 10 fish, and Matt got 3 or 4 I believe. Mine were all different sizes, 10"-35", with the biggest coming at the very end, and on a normal double hook bottom rig of all things. About 6 of my fish were caught on the typical fishfinder rigs (or that's what I call them) with floats, and the other 3 were caught on the double hook bottom rig. All were caught on raw chicken. Will post up pictures tonight if I remember. The fishing was great considering it was a cold day in February, and it was good to get rid of the skunk that lingered for me for the past 2 trips of 2018. If anyone wants to join us, I'm sure we may make another trip down there, and I would be happy to show you the spot that we caught our fish at, though I'm sure there are many there.

Comment

Good job. Were you anchored or were you drift fishing?
          Last edited by moc; 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Anchored. Haven't had luck catfishing in that area while drifting so I always anchor up. Pics below are of a couple mid 20s size fish, with some other 18" ish fish on the fillet table. Ended up keeping 2x26" fish and 3x18" fish, and tossing back 2 smalls, 1 medium, and 1 jumbo (35")...mostly on purpose but a bit accidental at the same time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice looking fish! Looks like a lot of fun, I may have to try that in my neck of the woods at some point.
              J

Comment

Yes, excellent!

I live just a few miles from where you launched. Launched at 1030 myself and enjoyed the February weather on upper Nanjemoy Creek. Fished for early perch and got skunked.

Comment

I sometimes forget that catfish are year round open season no creel limit. Sounds like an awesome outing between sport-fishing season, especially on these ultra rare 70-degree February days!

I'm diggin' the Russian hat Patrick!
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

nice job!
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Saturday was indeed a winner. It was my first time ever catching blue cats and they were a blast. Pat definitely showed his veteran skill set but I managed a few haha
                      Cat1.jpg
                      Matt
                      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                        I sometimes forget that catfish are year round open season no creel limit. Sounds like an awesome outing between sport-fishing season, especially on these ultra rare 70-degree February days!

I'm diggin' the Russian hat Patrick!
                        The hat is a must have for cold days when you're just sitting and waiting for bites. But it makes it's way out on any day that's below 50 in the morning, and then gradually gets replaced by the cheap sun hat I have, if the air temp rises a bit. Total cost for both was 20$, but the sun hat was free from my company (Tetra Tech).

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
                          Saturday was indeed a winner. It was my first time ever catching blue cats and they were a blast. Pat definitely showed his veteran skill set but I managed a few haha
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22986[/ATTACH]
                          Veteran skill set haha yeah...I prefer "beautifully mediocre," maybe even slightly above average. But yeah I'm glad you got your first taste of blue cats, they're the best bet on cold winter days, and the possibility for big ones (as you saw) is always high there at that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22986[/ATTACH]
                            That is one clean looking cat in the picture.
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I very much wanted to join you out there this past weekend but was not adequately prepared for cold weather yet. I will have the appropriate cold weather gear by the end of this coming weekend so if you or anyone else is going out of Marshall hall or Slavins either of the first two weekends of March for cats, I'd love to tag along and learn. If it helps, I found a local source for fresh and frozen alewife I can bring along. Thanks for the cool pics; looks like it was a lot of fun!
                              Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Working...
                              X