Unicorn Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicorn Lake

John Rentch, mchottie (Michael) and I visited Unicorn Lake in Millington for a few hours late this morning.
    It’s rare that you see any body of water this calm:

P1030432.jpg

Here’s John coming over to compare notes an hour or so into our trip.

P1030437.jpg

You can see that even then, the breeze was still almost nil.

The lack of wind made fishing quite enjoyable. All portions of the lake were easy to reach and of course, hitting desired targets with casts was simple.

Nevertheless, even though I nailed the spots I wanted with precision, I got off to a slow start. I fished for well over an hour without a nibble. I tried a white and then a yellow Mister Twister grub on a 1/8 oz. jighead. I caught nothing with it. However, both John and Michael had success catching pickerel with the yellow grub. I also tried a weedless paddletail. Again, nothing. Not even a tap.

I then went to my fly rod and a white bullethead darter. I cast quite a few times before connecting with this little guy:

P1030436.jpg

It wasn’t my first fish of 2018, but it was my first MD fish. So, it was worth the pixels if only for that reason.

In the meantime, John hooked a couple more picks to go with one he caught shortly after launching. I believe he caught each on the yellow grub.

Then Michael got into the act catching the largest pickerel of our trip. It was a chunky one.

P1030441.jpg

He used a chartreuse grub.

Then I finished the day with my second and last catch shortly before heading in:

P1030442.jpg

It also hit the white bullethead darter.

When fishing is slow like it was for me today I take the time to enjoy the surroundings. According to Michaels’ electronics, the water temperature was 47 degrees. Obviously, this turtle was looking for the sun.

P1030433.jpg

Also, because no leaves were on the trees, I could see a huge hornets nest at the water’s edge. I assume it was too cold for the inhabitants of the nest to be active. However, I will remember where it is so that I can be mindful of the potential for aerial attack on future visits to Unicorn.

P1030435.jpg

It was a nice day to be out, a bonus of sorts in February, especially given our harsh winter. It was also good to fish with Michael and I look forward to him joining us again.

Lastly, although I don't have a photo, I sighted a snowy owl swooping across Rt. 301 on my drive home. I have read that they have been common here this winter. It was the first one I have seen.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-15-2018, 05:41 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Glad to see people starting to catch some fish.
    Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Nice going guys. It is good to hear of fish getting caught in Maryland waters.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Perfect day to knock the dust off from 2017 - Any day I can fish in February wearing shorts IS A GOOD DAY

John landed 3, Mark landed 2, and I only landed 1, but was the largest amongst us, 19.25"

PS - Mark thanks for the loaner hawg trough to get an accurate measurement!

PPS - Mine was on an 1/8" chartreuse jighead with a clear chartreuse glitter curly grub

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice fish, Michael.

Glad you could join us.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Also, because no leaves were on the trees, I could see a huge hornets nest at the water’s edge. I assume it was too cold for the inhabitants of the nest to be active. However, I will remember where it is so that I can be mindful of the potential for aerial attack on future visits to Unicorn.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22965[/ATTACH]
            Social hornets do not re-use their nests. As in the case of the bald face hornet nest pictured, only the queen will survive the winter and she will build a new nest each year.

I wouldn't have an issue being near a nest this time of year as its already been abandoned, but if I came across one in warmer weather I would definitely steer clear.

Fun fact: There are no naturally occurring true hornets in North America, they are actually species of yellow jackets. The only true hornet is the European hornet which was accidentally introduced into N. America.
            Last edited by nhunter344; 02-16-2018, 12:32 PM.
            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
              Social hornets do not re-use their nests. As in the case of the bald face hornet nest pictured, only the queen will survive the winter and she will build a new nest each year.

I wouldn't have an issue being near a nest this time of year as its already been abandoned, but if I came across one in warmer weather I would definitely steer clear.

Fun fact: There are no naturally occurring true hornets in North America, they are actually species of yellow jackets. The only true hornet is the European hornet which was accidentally introduced into N. America.
              Thank you for the entomology lesson. Very interesting.

Unicorn anglers should hope that when the queen moves residences this year she will select a non-waterfront location.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
              X