Mattawoman Creek Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek Thursday

I am figuring on launching tomorrow morning at Slavins launch (Indian Head) around 8:15- 8:30 fishing for catfish if anyone is suffering from chronic cabin fever...I’ve got the cure- hoping for some “eaters” to take home but we usually get some big girls mixed in...anchorup is a must so if you plan on coming, bring an anchor...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Good luck! I was shore fishing from Ft. Washington just north of Mattawoman last weekend for cats. A couple thumps but I'm still learning the proper hookup technique for cats/circle hooks and ended up missing them. Heading out again from the yak on Saturday for a redemption journey. Are you using cutbait? And if so, what's the best way to go about getting it this time of year? I'm based in Baltimore City and asked Tochterman's but he said they don't carry cutbait until April. I'd love to get some shad or herring if possible, or really any oily fish.
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Things from the River (look them up on Facebook)...in Benedict has fresh mud shad and frozen Alwife for sale...with circle hooks I usually leave the rod in the holder until the drag is running...and one of the outfits I have rigged up is the Diawa BG 2500/Lews Speed Stick- want to put it through the wringer for a real world test- figure a 20# or so bluecatfish will give me an idea of how this outfit is going to perform...taking my Revo NaCl Toro winch/St. Croix Avid rod- two outfits as my normal catfish tackle...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-14-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Good luck Ron. Anxious to hear your report. You're welcome to meet Matt and I at Marshall hall Saturday. We are going but will change plans if the snow is forecasted earlier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's an awesome setup Ron...Like Pat said I'm interested to hear your report. And thanks for the info! I definitely feel like going into this weekend I have a much better idea of how to handle a strong catfish bite. Definitely join us if you want!
          Matt

Comment

If I'm ever going cat fishing or anywhere cut bait is needed I always make a stop into one of the Asian markets in Catonsville, like Lotte and H-Mart. They have a large selection of fresh fish most of them local species some exotic. They also usually have fresh shrimp, clams, squid and all sorts of other stinky stuff that the cats love.
            Their prices are great and usually cheaper than the bait shops.
            Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Originally posted by Jengles View Post
              If I'm ever going cat fishing or anywhere cut bait is needed I always make a stop into one of the Asian markets in Catonsville, like Lotte and H-Mart. They have a large selection of fresh fish most of them local species some exotic. They also usually have fresh shrimp, clams, squid and all sorts of other stinky stuff that the cats love.
              Their prices are great and usually cheaper than the bait shops.
              Thanks Jengles, that's perfect info. I'll swing by Lotte tomorrow after work for some local stuff. I appreciate it.
              Matt

Comment

IMG_3677.JPGIMG_3678.JPG this is one of five from today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Slimed at last
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Only two “eaters” today...mostly big fish..one 38 inch, 40 inch and a 42 inch...one of the “eaters” was about 10-12 pounds...right at my upper limit...made a nice bag of filets...eagles, hawks and buzzards are fighting over the carcasses and the left over bait...

Comment

Originally posted by Jengles View Post
                      If I'm ever going cat fishing or anywhere cut bait is needed I always make a stop into one of the Asian markets.
                      x2

I pay much less for fish there and its fresher. I'll have to pay attention to what species my father in law eats because it stinks. Perfect for catfish bait!
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

the only time ive gone, I used mackerel from lotte. It smelled awful and was super oily. the cats loved it
                        2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          ...this is one of five from today
                          Big and ugly catches for you.

Congrats Ron.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Only two “eaters” today...mostly big fish..one 38 inch, 40 inch and a 42 inch...one of the “eaters” was about 10-12 pounds...right at my upper limit...made a nice bag of filets...eagles, hawks and buzzards are fighting over the carcasses and the left over bait...
                            I might need heavier line....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We keep releasing these big fish and they just get bigger...I kept trying to get one on my new spinning outfit to give it a good workout to see how it was going to do but everything that hit was on the two Revo Toro Winch outfits- 30# braid...the biggest fish fought pretty good and took drag whenever it wanted to but if you have good smooth drag 20# line will do just fine...and the one spinning outfit was the only one I used a pegged float 6 inches below the hook on a fish finder outfit- both Revos had straight fish finders- no cork...

Comment

Working...
                              X