Sure sign of spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure sign of spring

Spring is coming. Both eagles have returned to their nest near York, PA. No eggs yet, but they are busy spiffing up their nest of many years. Always seems early to me, but hey... it's what eagles do. Other years I've seen them sitting on eggs and the nest is completely covered with snow with just their heads showing through the snow... and yet the eggs still hatch weeks later.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...eagle-live-cam
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Yep- agree- we have bald eagles nesting here in Charles County, too...and the trees have started to bud...I always gage spring by the clumps of green grass that unevenly dot my 2 acres of front yard...and the activity of groundhogs...right now they are staying put in their dens..when you see fresh dirt around the burrow, it is officially spring...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Can’t wait for the groundhogs to start showing themselves....

Comment

Yep...got 250 rounds of pet loads reloaded for my 700 VLS Remington custom .22-250...6.5X20-44 FCH Nikon Monarch scope with 4 inch sunscreen on a Boyd’s pepper laminated glass bedded thumbhole varmint stock...2.5 # Timney trigger Harris A-2 bipod

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Yep...got 250 rounds of pet loads reloaded for my 700 VLS Remington custom .22-250...6.5X20-44 FCH Nikon Monarch scope with 4 inch sunscreen on a Boyd’s pepper laminated glass bedded thumbhole varmint stock...2.5 # Timney trigger Harris A-2 bipod
          I used to shoot gophers in Montana with a 22-250. Great round, but a barrel burner for sure. All I usually saw in the scope was the red mist. My next rifle is going to be Hornady's new 6.5 PRC. I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmore for a while, but the numbers on their new cartridge look even better for my intended purpose.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

John, Ron,

I wish I had known...A few years ago I paid a "professional" more than I care to admit to remove a groundhog that had taken up residence in my yard. He tried for a week to trap it but never succeeded. However, I think he aggravated the groundhog so much that it moved on.

In any case, it sounds like either of you could have dispatched my varmint quickly.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              John, Ron,

I wish I had known...A few years ago I paid a "professional" more than I care to admit to remove a groundhog that had taken up residence in my yard. He tried for a week to trap it but never succeeded. However, I think he aggravated the groundhog so much that it moved on.

In any case, it sounds like either of you could have dispatched my varmint quickly.
              I've got a super quiet .22 air rifle that can definitely dispatch any unwanted critters in Pasadena. Starlings don't dare land in my yard any more.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Yep- I have a Benjamin Trail .22 cal 1200 FPS air rifle- killed a groundhog with it in the back yard last year...and tree rats don’t stand a chance...and where I live I can legally shoot in my yard- I have an elevated shooting shack with a benchrest over looking my farmer neighbors 75 acre soybean field- It is 438 yards to the back edge of his field- Laser ranged- he loves me taking out groundhogs...our property is a nature preserve- we see Bald Eagles, hawks, wild turkeys, deer up the wazoo, foxes, racoons, possums, and the occasional coyote...

Comment

Sure sign of spring

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Yep- I have a Benjamin Trail .22 cal 1200 FPS air rifle- killed a groundhog with it in the back yard last year...and tree rats don’t stand a chance...
                  Really, 1,200 FPS? I've got the Marauder and my average velocities are around 830 FPS with lead JSBs.

EDIT: I'll note that I keep mine tuned down a little for best grouping and shot counts.
                  Last edited by silasvirus82; 02-13-2018, 06:18 PM.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                    I used to shoot gophers in Montana with a 22-250. Great round, but a barrel burner for sure. All I usually saw in the scope was the red mist. My next rifle is going to be Hornady's new 6.5 PRC. I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmore for a while, but the numbers on their new cartridge look even better for my intended purpose.
                    If you happen to be left-handed I have a 6.5 Creedmore long-range rifle sitting around collecting dust that I would let go for a pretty reasonable price.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                      If you happen to be left-handed I have a 6.5 Creedmore long-range rifle sitting around collecting dust that I would let go for a pretty reasonable price.
                      Ha, no thank you! The only things I can use left handed are baitcasting reels and beer cans.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Hah, yea, that is my problem, it's a really niche rifle so selling it isnt going to be easy. I have been slowly selling off my guns to fund increasingly absurd fishing tackle.

I do now have a baitcasting combo that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner, which is now more useful to me then a fancy-pants scope.
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Hah, yea, that is my problem, it's a really niche rifle so selling it isnt going to be easy. I have been slowly selling off my guns to fund increasingly absurd fishing tackle.

I do now have a baitcasting combo that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner, which is now more useful to me then a fancy-pants scope.
                          Throw it up on MD Shooters or SnipersHide. Both are free and both have served me well in the past. I just sold my most expensive gun a couple weeks ago, and most expensive scope yesterday to fund a variety of other projects.
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I had forgotten about MD shooters, that's not a bad idea. I have little desire to deal with the hassle of shipping guns anymore, so my preference is always to try to sell them locally. I don't think I've shot any of them (other than using CB caps to dispatch mice that are stuck in glue traps) in years and years. I've got a couple that I don't want to sell as they are too cool/unique to get rid of on the off chance I might get into shooting again, I'm going to do a huge house cleaning this spring and sell off all my reloading equipment and assorted accessories that are just taking up space.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

sell off all my reloading equipment and assorted accessories that are just taking up space.
                              Holler for reloading supplies, particularly powder, primers, or bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X