Square hatch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    I have a 2015 Outback and use the bucket per the conditions you mentioned above, works fine.
    So John, did you use any of the existing holes from the old, round hatch, or did you go ahead and drill all new ones?
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
      So John, did you use any of the existing holes from the old, round hatch, or did you go ahead and drill all new ones?
      I watched the video you posted and I have no idea what he's talking about. Why would anyone not put the hatch directly in the center of the existing round hatch. You can see the round hatch is larger in diameter than is needed for the square hatch. That doesn't leave any wiggle room to move it forward or back, and side to side should be centered. If you put the square hatch directly centered over the round hole you should be fine.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        I watched the video you posted and I have no idea what he's talking about. Why would anyone not put the hatch directly in the center of the existing round hatch. You can see the round hatch is larger in diameter than is needed for the square hatch. That doesn't leave any wiggle room to move it forward or back, and side to side should be centered. If you put the square hatch directly centered over the round hole you should be fine.
        Ok, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

My Square hatch upgrade is being delivered tomorrow from ACK...the drop in bucket is on back order, so I will go ahead and install the hatch but will not be able to use it for a couple of weeks..
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            My Square hatch upgrade is being delivered tomorrow from ACK...the drop in bucket is on back order, so I will go ahead and install the hatch but will not be able to use it for a couple of weeks..
            Take lots of pictures, Ron. Would appreciate your thoughts on the install after it is all said and done. I plan on doing mine next month.
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Square hatch conversion

Here is the installIMG_3692.JPGIMG_3696.JPGIMG_3697.JPGIMG_3698.JPGIMG_3700.JPG

It was relatively easy modification- just pay attention to detail and cut with a good jigsaw after you trace out the bottom mounting plate with a magic marker on the hull...you need 14 one inch long #10 self-tapping screws, not 3/4 inch...and this is all ala carte...the hatch comes bare- no gasket or screws, so make sure you order the gasket and go to a hardware store and pick up 14 of the stainless steel screws...once you have all the tools and supplies it is a 45 minute job, start to finish...IMG_3694.JPG
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-08-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Nicely done Ron. Very professional-looking install.

Thanks for the pics and the tip about the 14x SS screws.

Q: What type of blade did you end up using in your jigsaw?

-manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

A wood blade

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks.

-manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Looks like it has always been there- very happy with the hatch...it is my birthday present from my wife...

Comment

Happy Birthday!

-manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Second best modification I have made on my outback only to the sailing rudder, I use mine on every outing it still blows my mind that these are not standard features for the prices we pay. UGH
                          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                          LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

After installing the rectangular hatch I notice the area is stiffer, with less flex, than the 8 inch circular hatch- the support is much stronger than the 8 inch hatch...an I agree that turbo fins, sailing rudder and rectangular hatch should all be a standard features on the Outback, especially with the introduction of the less expensive Compass...

Comment

I used an all purpose cutting blade on my dremel tool
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                                I agree that turbo fins, sailing rudder and rectangular hatch should all be a standard features on the Outback, especially with the introduction of the less expensive Compass...
                                Here's a couple of thoughts in case the marketing guys from Hobie are reading this forum:

1. Make the sailing rudder and square hatch standard fare on the Outback
                                2. Keep consumer costs down by offering the Outback with the Glide Technology Drive, not the 180-Mirage Drive*
                                3. Keep production costs down by eliminating the front storage hatch on the Outback and replacing it with the continuous, solid front deck design of the Compass (i.e. no hatch)**

* Hobie can still charge customers to upgrade to the 180-Mirage Drive and/or the Turbo Fins
                                ** Hobie can still charge customers for a round 8" hatch if the customer desires to install one in place of the compatible, recessed, 8" cavity that comes with a solid front deck design (just like the consumer can choose to do so now if they have a Compass)
                                Last edited by baitball; 03-11-2018, 08:08 AM.
                                -manny

Hobie Outback
                                Wilderness Systems 130T
                                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                                X