Square hatch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square hatch conversion

Winter time projects...On my Hobie Outback I only use one hatch a lot- the rear 8 inch circular hatch where I have the Hobie battery kit installed...but I am seriously considering the square hatch conversion on the center 8 inch circular hatch...question to all my Outback buddies who have the square hatch- how much do you actually use it? I have opened my center hatch maybe 6 times since I have had the Lady Luck...is it worth the time and money?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I use my square hatch with the square bucket every trip. I store one plano box, my fishing license, and my phone there (stays nice and dry!). I was on the fence about upgrading to it too, but I'm happy with it and I find it useful/convenient.
    J

Comment

I had a 2013 model outback that I installed that hatch in. I used the hell out of it. I used the bucket and could fit pretty much everything I would use plus a little more in it. And on the inside of the hatch itself I took a dremel tool and removed all of the material behind the little web net and used that for tiny tackle trays for spinners and jigs for perch. The system they have for the 2 tackle trays that comes up when you open the hatch I thought was useless. The bucket will hold 3 and a little extra. The only reason I even used my crate after that was for rod holders. It was definitely worth it for me.

Comment

I carry a small tackle bag between my legs and very seldom ever open my square hatch.

Comment

I have the square hatch and store all my tackle boxes and lures in there. I actually use the slots for the plano boxes in the hatch. Works for me

Yak67
          2016 Outback LE#217
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

I have the bucket. I keep 3 Plano boxes inside. Best mode I've done to date.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Ron,

I will be doing this modification as well in a couple of months. From everything I've read and seen on YouTube, it seems like a worthwhile mod.

One word of caution though, there was a video or two along with some (non-Snaggedline) forum posts that alluded to the bucket not fitting properly in the hull after the square hatch was cut out. Apparently, the depth inside the hull was just a hair too small to accommodate the bucket. Individuals overcame this problem by modifying, cutting, and plastic welding the bottom corner of the bucket.
              One particular individual in his video showed how he cut the square hatch along the long axis of the kayak rather than perpendicular to it. By installing the hatch 90degrees off (i.e. sideways), the bucket slipped right into the deepest part of the hull without the need to cut/modify the bucket. This individual also claimed that by turning the hatch 90degrees he can open the lid without having it interfere with his legs.

I'm not sure if this problem was unique to an older model of Outback, or Hobie modified the depth of the drop-in bucket since this problem was highlighted, but the lack of complaints from Outback owners in more recent posts and videos leads me to believe this problem has been resolved. It is worth mentioning, however, in case folks are concerned how an open hatch -- installed perpendicularly -- would interfere (or not) with their legs.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=54136&_ga=2.78174102.38971156 6.1497795887-528139395.1491748479

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53645
              Last edited by baitball; 02-11-2018, 04:28 AM.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Manny, the 2015 Outback changed the cockpit layout for the Vantage seat and that affected the depth, allowing for the square hatch Tackle management system...

Comment

just to chime in, i converted my PA to the 'bucket' from the slot, makes the storage MUCH more useful.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'd recommend doing the mod. I use mine with the bucket and like others have mentioned it holds 2 Plano 3640s with a little room to spare. The netting on the lid is a great spot for keys, license, chapstick, and other items I want easy access to. I'm considering doing away with my blackpak this year and building the PVC rod holder setup. That will leave the entire cargo area open for a cooler full of beer or hopefully my toddlers lounge chair.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I usually have nothing in the back cargo area of Lady Luck- sometimes I carry a cooler but rarely- usually leave the cooler in the truck and put fish in before leaving for home- the DIY PVC rocket launcher multi-rod holder has freed up so much that I never carry my crate- The square hatch would be for unexpected tackle change outs- I carry a small 7X10 1/2 inch Plano waterproof box (think it is the 7600 Plano) with all the normally used lures and in my Hobie mappockets I have several bags of Bass Asssain soft plastics, so the two bigger Plano waterproof boxes of trolling and top water lures would be stored in the tackle management system inside the square hatch...that is what I visualize using it and how I am rationalizing the square hatch upgrade...

Comment

I took the netting off, and used a dremel to remove the diamond pattern underneath. Allows an extra 3/4” of space, which might not sound like a lot, but it makes a good size difference. 5E4A5ECB-7DA5-48BE-9481-FAA4CB6FDB71.jpg

Comment

Mines is a 2012 .Installed the square hatch in 2013 best thing that ever happen.The use for me is everytime am in that yak.Just take your time make sure you cover the round hatch so there will be no leaks.Make sure it's position right.Good luck.
                          2012 hobie outback
                          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Manny, the 2015 Outback changed the cockpit layout for the Vantage seat and that affected the depth, allowing for the square hatch Tackle management system...
                            Ron,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Tackle Management System" is the name for the dual tackle tray holder contraption that attaches to the inside of the square hatch. I haven't heard about any problems related to installations with the TMS. What I was talking about was concerns with the depth of the "drop-in bucket" in case you choose to go that route in lieu of the Tackle Management System.

In this video, the gentleman doing the mod makes a point to mention specifically to NOT use the same holes for your square hatch as the previously removed round hatch because there had been problems with the drop-in bucket fitting properly (fast forward to about the 1:40min point)
                            https://youtu.be/OIgpJ1dh-0g

I'm just curious if others on this forum, who had already taken the plunge and did this mod, experienced any of these same problems?
                            -manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                              I'm just curious if others on this forum, who had already taken the plunge and did this mod, experienced any of these same problems?
                              I have a 2015 Outback and use the bucket per the conditions you mentioned above, works fine.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X