Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square hatch conversion

I usually have nothing in the back cargo area of Lady Luck- sometimes I carry a cooler but rarely- usually leave the cooler in the truck and put fish in before leaving for home- the DIY PVC rocket launcher multi-rod holder has freed up so much that I never carry my crate- The square hatch would be for unexpected tackle change outs- I carry a small 7X10 1/2 inch Plano waterproof box (think it is the 7600 Plano) with all the normally used lures and in my Hobie mappockets I have several bags of Bass Asssain soft plastics, so the two bigger Plano waterproof boxes of trolling and top water lures would be stored in the tackle management system inside the square hatch...that is what I visualize using it and how I am rationalizing the square hatch upgrade...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I took the netting off, and used a dremel to remove the diamond pattern underneath. Allows an extra 3/4 of space, which might not sound like a lot, but it makes a good size difference. 5E4A5ECB-7DA5-48BE-9481-FAA4CB6FDB71.jpg

Mines is a 2012 .Installed the square hatch in 2013 best thing that ever happen.The use for me is everytime am in that yak.Just take your time make sure you cover the round hatch so there will be no leaks.Make sure it's position right.Good luck.
    2012 hobie outback
    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Manny, the 2015 Outback changed the cockpit layout for the Vantage seat and that affected the depth, allowing for the square hatch Tackle management system...
    Ron,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Tackle Management System" is the name for the dual tackle tray holder contraption that attaches to the inside of the square hatch. I haven't heard about any problems related to installations with the TMS. What I was talking about was concerns with the depth of the "drop-in bucket" in case you choose to go that route in lieu of the Tackle Management System.

In this video, the gentleman doing the mod makes a point to mention specifically to NOT use the same holes for your square hatch as the previously removed round hatch because there had been problems with the drop-in bucket fitting properly (fast forward to about the 1:40min point)
    https://youtu.be/OIgpJ1dh-0g

I'm just curious if others on this forum, who had already taken the plunge and did this mod, experienced any of these same problems?
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Quote Originally Posted by baitball View Post
    I'm just curious if others on this forum, who had already taken the plunge and did this mod, experienced any of these same problems?
    I have a 2015 Outback and use the bucket per the conditions you mentioned above, works fine.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    I have a 2015 Outback and use the bucket per the conditions you mentioned above, works fine.
    So John, did you use any of the existing holes from the old, round hatch, or did you go ahead and drill all new ones?
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Quote Originally Posted by baitball View Post
    So John, did you use any of the existing holes from the old, round hatch, or did you go ahead and drill all new ones?
    I watched the video you posted and I have no idea what he's talking about. Why would anyone not put the hatch directly in the center of the existing round hatch. You can see the round hatch is larger in diameter than is needed for the square hatch. That doesn't leave any wiggle room to move it forward or back, and side to side should be centered. If you put the square hatch directly centered over the round hole you should be fine.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    I watched the video you posted and I have no idea what he's talking about. Why would anyone not put the hatch directly in the center of the existing round hatch. You can see the round hatch is larger in diameter than is needed for the square hatch. That doesn't leave any wiggle room to move it forward or back, and side to side should be centered. If you put the square hatch directly centered over the round hole you should be fine.
    Ok, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T