Must Go Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jengles View Post
    I almost did Armistead, It's a good place to launch from. I went out in my buddy's boat 3 weeks ago from there and had pretty much the same results you did. Several marks deep in the channel but nothing biting. I'm gonna keep hitting it when ever the weather allows it. Good luck to everyone else
    I have a much closer launch to the power plant than Armistead
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jengles View Post
      I paddled up to the bridge...
      Magothy Bridge(road)? Can't say we've ever headed 'upstream' we typically head towards the bay. Can you duck under the bridge head up towards Catherine Ave or is the depth too shallow?
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
        Magothy Bridge(road)? Can't say we've ever headed 'upstream' we typically head towards the bay. Can you duck under the bridge head up towards Catherine Ave or is the depth too shallow?
        Michael,

You can definitely head under the bridge.

Here's the bridge:

P1020559.jpg

Here's what it looks like after going under the bridge:

P1020562.jpg
        As you head to the shoreline immediately in front of you in the photo above, the river bends to the left. It gets shallow there depending on the tide. But generally you can go upstream after passing under the bridge for about 1/2 of a mile. I checked that on Google Earth.

There's a lot of water to fish between the bridge and the place where you'll bottom out.

In fact, John Rentch and I are heading to Beachwood tomorrow morning -- not because reports have been good but just because we want to get out. Anyone is welcome to join us.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

Thursday is 'predicted' to reach 68* (and rumored to reach 72*) which may produce a 'sick' day for me I doubt I can meet tomorrow, but if your Thursday schedule is open, shoot me a PM

Comment

As Mark stated there is a lot of water up above the bridge and on my sonar I was getting about 5-6 feet. That was about three hours before high tide. I saw a video on you tube of a guy at that bridge pulling in lots of pickerel, the video was from a few years ago but I still wanted to check it out. I felt a bump in the water there but it was probably just another shad.
            Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Mattawoman Creek for me Thursday...blue catfish...morning launch- off the water by 1 pm...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thats my thoughts also, rain moving into the afternoon, 30% chance.

Comment

Guys, those marks you're seeing deep that won't bite are likely mud shad. There are thousands of them all over the rivers. They can be large so the marks can be mistaken for stripers. There will be stripers mixed in. Try what I call the "winter stall" It'll help put some fish on the board. For those with my jigging book, I talk about two strategies for this time of year, see page 157 and 161. You've got to do everything just right to get them this time of year and those are the things that I've found work best.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    Guys, those marks you're seeing deep that won't bite are likely mud shad. There are thousands of them all over the rivers. They can be large so the marks can be mistaken for stripers. There will be stripers mixed in. Try what I call the "winter stall" It'll help put some fish on the board. For those with my jigging book, I talk about two strategies for this time of year, see page 157 and 161. You've got to do everything just right to get them this time of year and those are the things that I've found work best.
                    That makes a lot more sense than an entire school of striper not being hungry haha I had no idea mud shad could be that big. Thanks for the info. I've got the trolling book, but it sounds like there's a jigging book order that needs placing. I appreciate the help Alan!
                    Matt
                    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
                      That makes a lot more sense than an entire school of striper not being hungry haha I had no idea mud shad could be that big. Thanks for the info. I've got the trolling book, but it sounds like there's a jigging book order that needs placing. I appreciate the help Alan!
                      The schools of mud shad can be enormous. He's a label screen shot of my fish finder from last week or so.
                      https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X