Safety on the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety on the water

I am always mindful of others when I am out and about- especially driving or fishing...I don’t worry much about what I will do, but what others are doing or what they might do...I drive defensively...and when I am in my kayak, I am constantly aware of other boaters...I always wear my PFD...fly the carbonvisipole flag, but when I hear a boat engine, I search out the noise and pinpoint the boat. I keep an eye on the boat coming toward me and if I am fishing the edge of a channel, I start moving towards shallow water knowing the power boat cannot operate in very shallow water...I have had powerboats come very close to me at cruising power pushing big wakes without regard to how their boat’s wake will affect my safety...on the other hand I have seen considerate, responsible boat operators slow down, wave to me, then power back up after passing a safe distance- I never assume the boater has seen me...the moral of the story- no one loves you like your Mother does...safety is always up to us to do everything we can to minimize risks...kayak defensively.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-05-2018, 09:36 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

No truer words spoken. Visipole w/ orange flag (in my opinion) is worth its cost simply for your safety and peace of mind.

Similarly to going out in winter/cold months using your best judgement for your safety (cold weather gear & drysuit), even the summer months you have to be mindful of others as mindful as you are of yourself & surroundings / level of ability.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Yeah, I'm beached until wetsuit season begins around April 1st.

Lisa

Comment

Sad part is you need a license to operate a car, but not a boat. Unless you were born 1972 or later. Then you need some kind of Coast Guard certificate thing. And that's just a computer test to get. We are in fact a vessel and all rules apply to us as it does to big boats. We are the bicycles of the water.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I believe someone mentioned this accident http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...man_jumps.html in another thread. It really demonstrates to me the need for defensive boating. A good safety tip I have yet to implement personally, is painting my paddle blades hives orange or attaching reflective material to them.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Great reminder? Boat defensively and your chances of having a problem on the water are reduced greatly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thoughts, I try and practice the same thoughts and ideas.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Couldn’t agree more, always aware to conditions and surroundings,thanks to Oldbayrunner(Walt) I have a drysuit,and continue to fish,keep all me invited reserved and for the prepared fisherman! And still always have a watchful eye on everyone on the water!
                Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
                Hummingbird Helix 5
                Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                  Couldn’t agree more, always aware to conditions and surroundings,thanks to Oldbayrunner(Walt) I have a drysuit,and continue to fish,keep all me invited reserved and for the prepared fisherman! And still always have a watchful eye on everyone on the water!
                  I do miss my old blue n yellow dry suit colors. They matched my Sun Camo yak...lol... But I am happy with my red Mythic.

Comment

Working...
                  X