No announcement yet.

Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is always a “trade-off” for lighter weight in similar sized kayaks...early Outbacks used to have issues with cracking, especially near the drive mounts...Hobie increased the amount of thickness in these areas...I think I will wait a few years to see what issues (if any) the Compass has before plinking down a few dollars short of 2 grand...the tens of thousands of Outbacks have stood the test of time, abuse and ownership...the SUV of fishing kayaks
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

To follow what Ron said, tradeoffs abound in fishing kayaks. There is no perfect boat and there no best boat between brands and between models within brands. Ultimately a fishing kayak's utility depends on how you use it and I think this is often overlooked, your adaptation to its strengths and weaknesses. I know this latter point has been very critical to me. I have two very different kinds of fishing kayaks. I enjoy each of them immensely. But I don't expect the same performance from each. I have learned the nuances of each and altered my expectations and behaviors in them accordingly.

My point is that I believe you can over-analyze a kayak purchase beyond meeting your basic needs by worrying about minutia. Assuming your foundation requirements are met with respect to size and weight and stability, actual use will allow you to grow into your boat, accepting its tradeoffs, so that it fits you like a well worn glove.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
        To add to Mark's comment, adding reflective 3M tape to your yak paddles (and/or all gear as shown below) is one of the most effective visual cue's (similar to using a mirror to direct/reflect sunlight)
        Thanks for the photos, very distinct. Learning many new things (or considering them more thoroughly) since I joined here. I like the reflective tape concept and might try to integrate it wherever/whenever possible. However, I've read that reflective tape is used as a waterfowl visual dispersal technique (considered effective for a short period before birds become habituated to it). For the mobile kayak hunter, the possibility of waterfowl acclamation time would probably not apply. I will add reflective tape to fishing gear (and myself), and maybe even my favorite paddle if I can come up with a way to remove it when desired - or just use a dedicated paddle with no tape for hunting.

Comment

Hobie must believe strongly in reflective tape.

It's on the pedals, seat and rudder mechanism of my new Revo.

However, given our low profile on the water, I fear it may too late for a speeding boat to react after seeing the tape, especially in choppy water where we often disappear from the horizon completely. That's why Ron's admonition to always be aware of your surroundings is such good advice. My assumption while kayaking is that no one sees me.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

For many years I had noticed that I could see brightly colored paddle blades moving up and down at a long distance across the water (a mile or more) -- long before I could see a stationary flag or the kayak itself. My early paddles had yellow blades that served that function. In 2014, when I upgraded to a Werner carbon fiber paddle in all black, I added strips of yellow colored tape and white reflective tape to the blades. That has served me well. Even if you use a pedal kayak, as long as you can grab your paddle quickly and wave it in the air, you are likely to be seen. The tape remains firmly attached four years later and adds minimal weight to the paddle.

004.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Hobie must believe strongly in reflective tape.

It's on the pedals, seat and rudder mechanism of my new Revo.

However, given our low profile on the water, I fear it may too late for a speeding boat to react after seeing the tape, especially in choppy water where we often disappear from the horizon completely. That's why Ron's admonition to always be aware of your surroundings is such good advice. My assumption while kayaking is that no one sees me.
              In the past, I've used my old kayak in a limited hunting capacity, usually just for duck/goose retrieval during my rare "be the dog" opportunities, and only when they fall in water above my waist. My new kayak is camouflaged because I intend to increase its utility and actually hunt "from" it. My rationale was that I'd need to worry less about camouflaging the boat with natural/aftermarket camo each trip out. The new boat is already rigged with various flags and lights for while underway/fishing, but I would not use these while actively hunting.

BTW, checked out your book on Amazon. I was going to add it to my wish list since I have an anniversary and birthday looming, then noticed there was only one available via Amazon Prime. So, since I'm too lazy to look for it elsewhere, I snatched it up and expect UPS to drop it off on Monday!

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              For many years I had noticed that I could see brightly colored paddle blades moving up and down at a long distance across the water (a mile or more) -- long before I could see a stationary flag or the kayak itself. My early paddles had yellow blades that served that function. In 2014, when I upgraded to a Werner carbon fiber paddle in all black, I added strips of yellow colored tape and white reflective tape to the blades. That has served me well. Even if you use a pedal kayak, as long as you can grab your paddle quickly and wave it in the air, you are likely to be seen. The tape remains firmly attached four years later and adds minimal weight to the paddle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22934[/ATTACH]
              Just ordered your book too! Arriving Monday.

Added Alan Battista's kayak trolling book and some "Marine Microprismatic Retroreflective Conspicuity Tape" (wow) to my Amazon wish list. Assume Alan's a member here too? Gotta have something in there (gift ideas for the wife and daughters).

Comment

GUNS&ROTORS,

Thank you for ordering my book. Keep it bedside. It will cure any sleepness night better than pills or herbal teas.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by GUNS&ROTORS View Post
                  Thanks for the photos, very distinct. Learning many new things (or considering them more thoroughly) since I joined here. I like the reflective tape concept and might try to integrate it wherever/whenever possible. However, I've read that reflective tape is used as a waterfowl visual dispersal technique (considered effective for a short period before birds become habituated to it). For the mobile kayak hunter, the possibility of waterfowl acclamation time would probably not apply. I will add reflective tape to fishing gear (and myself), and maybe even my favorite paddle if I can come up with a way to remove it when desired - or just use a dedicated paddle with no tape for hunting.
                  In the grand scale of spending $$$$$ on a kayak, spending a few bucks $ for the reflective tape seems well worth the visibility & safety on the water for fishing.

Hunting, I 100% agree "invisibility" on the water becomes a significant factor.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    GUNS&ROTORS,

Thank you for ordering my book. Keep it bedside. It will cure any sleepness night better than pills or herbal teas.
                    I have reached that point in life where waking up before my alarm clock sounds is the new normal ...

If your book will shrink my prostate, you're sitting on a gold mine!

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      In the grand scale of spending $$$$$ on a kayak, spending a few bucks $ for the reflective tape seems well worth the visibility & safety on the water for fishing.

Hunting, I 100% agree "invisibility" on the water becomes a significant factor.
                      Well said. I'll definitely implement the reflective tape approach for fishing.

Comment

Working...
                      X