Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Regarding camo (or any color for that matter) and its visibility on the water, it's not something that would impact my choice of a boat. My assumption while kayaking has always been that I am very difficult to see. I behave accordingly on the water, constantly surveying my surroundings, always yielding to oncoming traffic, and taking great care when crossing open water. But even the utmost caution will not eliminate all risk.

The first thing I see of my friends on the water when they are far away is not the their kayak or its color, nor do I see their visi-pole flags. I see their moving paddles. That means I can more easily spot those who paddle over those who pedal. Pedal kayakers should always keep that in mind.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Red Native Ultimate 14.5

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com and via PM

Like most comment on this thread, the $200 difference is worth for all the reasons stated for the rubber pockets, Turbo Fins, and the sailing rudder. The price of the rudder is $35.68, the Turbo fins are $132.00 and the rubber pockets are $11.29 x 2. The total just for these upgrades are $190.26. The $200 difference is a fair price.
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

I have the Ď17 Camo... love it. I think the point here has been pretty well made- great boat with awesome upgrades. I will say I wish I was more visible- you need a flag and Iíd recommend a bright PFD. I donít have much fishing pressure where I am, but there are a ton of watermen and work boats- I canít expect these guys to see a camo kayak in a place they donít even have to worry about recreational fisherman. Make sure youíre visible.

Regarding Mark & Dan's comments above, i'd think the camo colour scheme more geared towards duck/deer hunters who want mobile camoflauge.

I'd be interested to hear if market research geared the camo colour 50% hunting and 50% to be competitive with other boat manufacturers, or what exactly the ratio/rationale was, but that may be a trade secret we will never know.

I still think the Papaya colour is much more high visibility on the water. That may impact another vessel approaching, or it may not (i.e. the recent crash in canada where the elderly gentleman couldn'y even see over the dashboard)
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Michael,

I think if you're trolling for stripers in big water, the color of your boat probably doesn't matter. Your lines are well behind you and the fish may be well below you. If you're casting 60 to 80 feet to stumps, docks or other targets, the color of your boat probably doesn't matter. The glitter-boys in their bass boats are examples of that. But if you work tight to shorelines in small water like creeks and ponds in very shallow water, as I often do, a less visible color like camo may help you blend into the background and may be less noticeable to the fish in your path. (That's also one reason why I never stand in my kayak even though my Ultimate allows it.) I have no scientific proof but I know from reading that I am not the only angler who thinks bright colored boats and flashy apparel may notify fish of your presence, especially when fishing in tight quarters and shallow water. (I've never seen waders or sling packs or fly fishing vests offered for sale in fluorescent colors.) However, that's not the reason my Ultimate is a natural color and my PFD is olive. I just like the earth-tone colors. But I also like the slate blue on my 2018 Hobie. Again, my personal observation is that any color kayak is hard for humans to see on the water at a distance. But I suspect up close fish can see them as well as we do.
    Mark

Red Native Ultimate 14.5

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)

The bass-boat glitter is an aspect I had not considered!

I'm more of the thought that the camo was intend NOT for fishing but for Hunting, where stealth/is key (papaya would be easily spotted by a duck or deer) i.e. gilly suit or duck blind.

First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Now that's true camo!

Neat photo, Michael.
    Mark

Red Native Ultimate 14.5

Quote Originally Posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
    Gonna use it to get some wheels - I lug my Ocean Kayak Big Game around without them, and I've wrenched my back a couple times, and have no interest in going anywhere that I am more than 100 yards or so from the water when parking. That will definitely be the first thing I change this time around!
    If it comes down to choosing between the rudder/fins upgrade and buying a good cart, get the good cart. The Hobie 2-30 cart is way overpriced, but it's a no brainer after using it extensively. Personally, I had every modification done to my kayak before buying the rudder/fins upgrade, and I got along two seasons just fine. In hindsight, the fins/rudder upgrade should have been nearly one of the first I did, but it's definitely not a necessity.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Regarding rudder and fins, the Outback is a far different boat in terms of handling than the Revo. But one of the good things about a Revo is that its sleekness, I believe, negates the need for Turbo fins. It flies along pretty well with the ST fins. Further, given my fishing preference for skinny water, the extra clearance offered by the ST fins is often welcome. As to the sailing rudder, I did put that on my old Revo. I have not done so on my new one. I want to run the new boat a little more with the standard rudder to see if I really need it. The boat is very responsive now with the standard rudder. I installed the sailing rudder on my previous Revo to help me hold a shoreline in the wind. I may find I need to do the same on new one. But I never felt I needed the larger rudder for normal turning on the water.
    Mark

Red Native Ultimate 14.5

Well now I'm very interested in the new Compass, after reading about it in the latest issue of Kayak Angler and doing some research online. The price tag is nice too (1949 base).

Anybody used one yet?
    2018 Hobie Compass