Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Looking for some input from you Hobie owners here. I'm getting my first pedal kayak this winter and decided on the Outback. The Pro Angler looks pretty amazing, but that's a bit steep in $$ for me.

So my question is, have any of you used the Camo version vs. the Standard version, and is the difference worth the $200 price? The guys at Backyard Boats & Delaware Paddlesports both touted the "turbo" fins and larger rudder of the Camo, but of course, they're trying to sell something.

I've never had any pedal kayak before, so is it something where I won't know what I'm missing with the regular fins and rudder?

Of course, the camo looks better than the standard colors, but that itself isn't worth the $200 to me that would be better served on a cart that I desperately need.

So those who have used both, is it worth it?

Thanks!
    2018 Hobie Compass

Turbo fins and the sailing rudder are the first things I upgraded on mine. They are well worth the upgrade.

The camo looks nice, but I'd rather have something more visible. I know people will say you can be visible by having a flag. I personally would like to be as visible as possible, so mine is red. I really would have liked to get an orange limited editions, but there weren't any for sale when I bought mine. I would save the $200 and put it towards a nice fish finder. Whatever you decide, the Outback is a really nice fishing kayak. I've had mine for 2 years and love it.
    Tommy
    2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
    Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

I’ve had a 2011, 2015, and 2016 olive outback, as well as a 2017 and a 2018 Camo outback. I feel pretty qualified to comment on this question. Haha.

Like the comment above and the guys at the shops told you, the turbo fins and the sailing rudder are great upgrades; especially the turbo fins. It would be the first thing I bought if I purchased a Hobie without them. The rudder is also nice and helps with tracking and not needing to adjust your rudder control quite as much. In addition, the Camo OB has rubber pocket mesh, as opposed to a the regular string netting that is on the non-Camo OB. It’s a small upgrade buts it’s nice because hooks do not snag in it. Oh and one last thing....the foot pads on the pedals are camo instead of black. Not worth $200 by itself but it looks cool

If I were purchasing another OB, it would hands down be the camo OB.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I run a 2011 Outback and had a 2007 before. It's a great kayak, but wow have prices going up since I spent $1,800 on mine in 2011.
        The DPS guys aren't just trying to upsell you. The turbo fins and sailing rudder, like the others have said, are must have upgrades in my opinion. In fact, I think at the price Hobie's charging these days, those upgrades should be included...but now I'm getting off track :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I have the Outback in Camo and love it. It comes with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. These are the first things that everyone upgrades. I like the extra power that I get from the turbo fins. I will say that Delaware Paddle Sports is the Hobie rep at the Great American Outdoor Show and last year offered an in store credit of $150. If you purchased while the show was on going. I used it to get the square hatch upgrade. That's the 3rd upgrade people do. Remember you pay NO sales tax in Delaware. That's why I drove over 2 hours to get mine, saved over $160 bucks.
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I have the PA-12 in Camo and I have a Outback LE with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. Both those upgrades are worth it, and you should be getting the second generation 180 Mirage Drive (with Reverse).

I like the Camo color because it looks cool and hides all the blood and guts on deck lol. I keep my Yaks really clean, but the Camo does hide dirt which I love.

I am from the purchase local school of thought. Yes you save on taxes, but are you going to drive two hours to get any warranty issues taken care of??? Or force the local shop you bypassed to fix it???

This is one of those pricey items you can buy, that the internet can't fix if you need it. Those local shop owners stay open with parts and service because we support them.
            Yak67
            2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
            2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

I have had two Outbacks- being a big guy (6’ 250#) I need a boat rated for my size- Revo is too small for me...upgraded both with Turbofins and sailing rudder...necessity for me...the next “necessity” was a high quality gps/Fishfinder...love the side scan feature...and then a custom rocket launcher rod holder for multiple rods...once I made mine- I do not use any of the other rod holders on my boat...makes all the difference in the world...why spend a lot of money on rodholders and mounts- the two behind the seat built in holders are where my custom rocket launcher fits and while I installed 4 of the YakAttack aluminum rails and backing plates...(I don’t regret that) they don’t get used except to hold my YakAttack carbon visipole flag...

PS...you gotta have a HD scupper cart- essential piece of gear
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-04-2018, 03:08 PM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I purchased a slate-colored Revo from DPS last November. It's a beautiful boat but if the Revo had come in camo I would have bought it. I just like the camo color. My Ultimate is kind of a camo color and I really like its appearance.

Outbacks are great fishing boats. I've pedaled one extensively that belongs to a friend. But they're just little too heavy for me on land and I like the way the lighter, sleeker Revos efficiently cut through choppy water.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks everybody! I knew you all wouldn't let me down. If everybody here raves about the turbo fins and larger rudder, I'm sold. Great insight from everyone.

I live in AACo., but my parents have a beach house in Delaware, so it's not a big deal buying from the guys at DPS. That's probably where I'll end up going. And yes, they are offering the $150 during the show again. Gonna use it to get some wheels - I lug my Ocean Kayak Big Game around without them, and I've wrenched my back a couple times, and have no interest in going anywhere that I am more than 100 yards or so from the water when parking. That will definitely be the first thing I change this time around!
                  2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

another +1 on the turbo fins, worth the money. I have a PA which I believe already has the upgraded rudder, but the next upgrade on my girlfriends blue outback (see signature) is 100% the turbo fins

camo (color alone) I think is a $200 upcharge, and thats all dependant on your style and "looks". of course if you see a CAMO boat on the water, you know its a 2017 or later model.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Regarding camo (or any color for that matter) and its visibility on the water, it's not something that would impact my choice of a boat. My assumption while kayaking has always been that I am very difficult to see. I behave accordingly on the water, constantly surveying my surroundings, always yielding to oncoming traffic, and taking great care when crossing open water. But even the utmost caution will not eliminate all risk.

The first thing I see of my friends on the water when they are far away is not the their kayak or its color, nor do I see their visi-pole flags. I see their moving paddles. That means I can more easily spot those who paddle over those who pedal. Pedal kayakers should always keep that in mind.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Like most comment on this thread, the $200 difference is worth for all the reasons stated for the rubber pockets, Turbo Fins, and the sailing rudder. The price of the rudder is $35.68, the Turbo fins are $132.00 and the rubber pockets are $11.29 x 2. The total just for these upgrades are $190.26. The $200 difference is a fair price.
                        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I have the ‘17 Camo... love it. I think the point here has been pretty well made- great boat with awesome upgrades. I will say I wish I was more visible- you need a flag and I’d recommend a bright PFD. I don’t have much fishing pressure where I am, but there are a ton of watermen and work boats- I can’t expect these guys to see a camo kayak in a place they don’t even have to worry about recreational fisherman. Make sure you’re visible.

Comment

Regarding Mark & Dan's comments above, i'd think the camo colour scheme more geared towards duck/deer hunters who want mobile camoflauge.

I'd be interested to hear if market research geared the camo colour 50% hunting and 50% to be competitive with other boat manufacturers, or what exactly the ratio/rationale was, but that may be a trade secret we will never know.

I still think the Papaya colour is much more high visibility on the water. That may impact another vessel approaching, or it may not (i.e. the recent crash in canada where the elderly gentleman couldn'y even see over the dashboard)
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Michael,

I think if you're trolling for stripers in big water, the color of your boat probably doesn't matter. Your lines are well behind you and the fish may be well below you. If you're casting 60 to 80 feet to stumps, docks or other targets, the color of your boat probably doesn't matter. The glitter-boys in their bass boats are examples of that. But if you work tight to shorelines in small water like creeks and ponds in very shallow water, as I often do, a less visible color like camo may help you blend into the background and may be less noticeable to the fish in your path. (That's also one reason why I never stand in my kayak even though my Ultimate allows it.) I have no scientific proof but I know from reading that I am not the only angler who thinks bright colored boats and flashy apparel may notify fish of your presence, especially when fishing in tight quarters and shallow water. (I've never seen waders or sling packs or fly fishing vests offered for sale in fluorescent colors.) However, that's not the reason my Ultimate is a natural color and my PFD is olive. I just like the earth-tone colors. But I also like the slate blue on my 2018 Hobie. Again, my personal observation is that any color kayak is hard for humans to see on the water at a distance. But I suspect up close fish can see them as well as we do.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X