No announcement yet.

Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bass-boat glitter is an aspect I had not considered!

I'm more of the thought that the camo was intend NOT for fishing but for Hunting, where stealth/is key (papaya would be easily spotted by a duck or deer) i.e. gilly suit or duck blind.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Now that's true camo!

Neat photo, Michael.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
        Gonna use it to get some wheels - I lug my Ocean Kayak Big Game around without them, and I've wrenched my back a couple times, and have no interest in going anywhere that I am more than 100 yards or so from the water when parking. That will definitely be the first thing I change this time around!
        If it comes down to choosing between the rudder/fins upgrade and buying a good cart, get the good cart. The Hobie 2-30 cart is way overpriced, but it's a no brainer after using it extensively. Personally, I had every modification done to my kayak before buying the rudder/fins upgrade, and I got along two seasons just fine. In hindsight, the fins/rudder upgrade should have been nearly one of the first I did, but it's definitely not a necessity.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Regarding rudder and fins, the Outback is a far different boat in terms of handling than the Revo. But one of the good things about a Revo is that its sleekness, I believe, negates the need for Turbo fins. It flies along pretty well with the ST fins. Further, given my fishing preference for skinny water, the extra clearance offered by the ST fins is often welcome. As to the sailing rudder, I did put that on my old Revo. I have not done so on my new one. I want to run the new boat a little more with the standard rudder to see if I really need it. The boat is very responsive now with the standard rudder. I installed the sailing rudder on my previous Revo to help me hold a shoreline in the wind. I may find I need to do the same on new one. But I never felt I needed the larger rudder for normal turning on the water.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Well now I'm very interested in the new Compass, after reading about it in the latest issue of Kayak Angler and doing some research online. The price tag is nice too (1949 base).

Anybody used one yet?
            2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Well now I'm very interested in the new Compass, after reading about it in the latest issue of Kayak Angler and doing some research online. The price tag is nice too (1949 base).

Anybody used one yet?
              I have not used one but I inspected one up close at DPS.

It's a very nice boat and I believe it is Hobie's attempt to produce a multi-purpose pedal kayak for under $2K.

They saved costs in two distinct ways:

1. It does not include the 180 Mirage Drive.
              2. The raised seat is not as upscale or as adjustable as in their Revos and Outbacks.

The rudder system is different too. But how I cannot explain.

I actually contemplated a Compass prior to replacing my Revo with another one. It's listed as a couple of pounds lighter than my Revo and since I'm at my car-topping limit with my Revo I figured every pound less would only help.

However, the major thing that deterred me was the inside-the-gunnel placement of the handles. The Compass is a much wider boat than my Revo and I would have a difficult time grasping and lifting it with the handles placed as they are.

So I haven't been on the water in one. But my guess is from the sharp cut of the bow that the Compass will not the have the hull-slap that some complain about in the Outback in rough water. It's also likely to be a very stable boat due to its width. But again, that will come with a tradeoff in the effort required to propel it when compared to sleeker hulls.

At this point there are plenty of Compass user reviews on-line. You might want to Google them.

Better yet, take a look at the boats in person at a local distributor. I've purchased Hobies from both Backyard Boats and DPS. The sales folks at both outlets were super helpful.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Buy your yak from wherever you want. For me I went to DPS for the $150 credit and $160 in NO taxes. That equals $310 in my pocket. They are a 2 hour plus drive compared to the Annapolis dealer. BUT, if I have a warranty issue I will take it to Annapolis. Why, because the warranty is from Hobie so any/all Hobie dealer will honor it.

The other reason I went to DPS is they are awesome to work with. I lost my Certificate of Ownership, called them on Friday and they shipped out a copy got it today!! Also had an issue with the MD180 cables. Called DPS and within 3 days I had new cables direct from Hobie. Great service!!

DPS offers Demo days. Go to their web page for dates.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

The rudder system is different too. But how I cannot explain.

I actually contemplated a Compass prior to replacing my Revo with another one. It's listed as a couple of pounds lighter than my Revo and since I'm at my car-topping limit with my Revo I figured every pound less would only help.

However, the major thing that deterred me was the inside-the-gunnel placement of the handles. The Compass is a much wider boat than my Revo and I would have a difficult time grasping and lifting it with the handles placed as they are.
                  The rudder system for the Compass is more like the PA style, not a "Twist n' Stow". It's inline with the hull and held up by a cord and when the cord is released, it drops. I am not a fan of the Compass handle placement myself. Excellent discussion.

I believe someone mentioned this accident http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...man_jumps.html in earlier. It really demonstrates to me the need for defensive boating. A good safety tip I have yet to implement personally, is painting my paddle blades hi-vis orange or attaching reflective material to them.
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                  Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                  Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                  Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Anybody used one yet?
                    Yes, I’ve used one. IMHO its the best kayak hobie has ever made. Crazy light (lighter than the revo),crazy fast, crazy stable (wider than the outback), great rudder, cuts through waves like a revo instead of bashing into them like the outback.

Its a bit stripped down, but those things can be added to compete with the revo or outback. But those two cant compete with the Compass’s design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Have a boat that is visible and just upgrade the individual rudder and fins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                        Yes, I’ve used one. IMHO its the best kayak hobie has ever made. Crazy light (lighter than the revo),crazy fast, crazy stable (wider than the outback), great rudder, cuts through waves like a revo instead of bashing into them like the outback.

Its a bit stripped down, but those things can be added to compete with the revo or outback. But those two cant compete with the Compass’s design.

Awesome. Headed to DPS on Sunday to sit in one and customize it. Will probably buy it.

I don't love the Seagrass Green color - I'd much prefer the blue, but everybody here seems to put visibility at the top of priority list. I've never really worried about that much - my Big Game is gray camo - but perhaps I should.
                        2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                          A good safety tip I have yet to implement personally, is painting my paddle blades hi-vis orange or attaching reflective material to them.
                          Indeed, moving paddles are the first thing I see of distant kayakers on the water. I rarely see the kayak at all without an intense look, regardless of the boat's color.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Indeed, moving paddles are the first thing I see of distant kayakers on the water. I rarely see the kayak at all without an intense look, regardless of the boat's color.
                            To add to Mark's comment, adding reflective 3M tape to your yak paddles (and/or all gear as shown below) is one of the most effective visual cue's (similar to using a mirror to direct/reflect sunlight)

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                              To add to Mark's comment, adding reflective 3M tape to your yak paddles (and/or all gear as shown below) is one of the most effective visual cue's (similar to using a mirror to direct/reflect sunlight)
                              Out of curiosity, how well does the 3M hold up each season? Do you have to reapply or does it hold?
                              Tight lines
                              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post

Based on the praise, I may have to demo one of these as well as a revo and an outback, assuming I go to purchase a pedal kayak in the next couple of months.

Comment

Working...
                                X