Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Default Hobie Outback Standard vs. Camo

Looking for some input from you Hobie owners here. I'm getting my first pedal kayak this winter and decided on the Outback. The Pro Angler looks pretty amazing, but that's a bit steep in $$ for me.

So my question is, have any of you used the Camo version vs. the Standard version, and is the difference worth the $200 price? The guys at Backyard Boats & Delaware Paddlesports both touted the "turbo" fins and larger rudder of the Camo, but of course, they're trying to sell something.

I've never had any pedal kayak before, so is it something where I won't know what I'm missing with the regular fins and rudder?

Of course, the camo looks better than the standard colors, but that itself isn't worth the $200 to me that would be better served on a cart that I desperately need.

So those who have used both, is it worth it?

Thanks!
    2018 Hobie Compass

Turbo fins and the sailing rudder are the first things I upgraded on mine. They are well worth the upgrade.

The camo looks nice, but I'd rather have something more visible. I know people will say you can be visible by having a flag. I personally would like to be as visible as possible, so mine is red. I really would have liked to get an orange limited editions, but there weren't any for sale when I bought mine. I would save the $200 and put it towards a nice fish finder. Whatever you decide, the Outback is a really nice fishing kayak. I've had mine for 2 years and love it.
    Tommy
    2016 Hobie Outback
    Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4C...2vYTXcKm-3aGOg

Iíve had a 2011, 2015, and 2016 olive outback, as well as a 2017 and a 2018 Camo outback. I feel pretty qualified to comment on this question. Haha.

Like the comment above and the guys at the shops told you, the turbo fins and the sailing rudder are great upgrades; especially the turbo fins. It would be the first thing I bought if I purchased a Hobie without them. The rudder is also nice and helps with tracking and not needing to adjust your rudder control quite as much. In addition, the Camo OB has rubber pocket mesh, as opposed to a the regular string netting that is on the non-Camo OB. Itís a small upgrade buts itís nice because hooks do not snag in it. Oh and one last thing....the foot pads on the pedals are camo instead of black. Not worth $200 by itself but it looks cool

If I were purchasing another OB, it would hands down be the camo OB.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I run a 2011 Outback and had a 2007 before. It's a great kayak, but wow have prices going up since I spent $1,800 on mine in 2011.
    The DPS guys aren't just trying to upsell you. The turbo fins and sailing rudder, like the others have said, are must have upgrades in my opinion. In fact, I think at the price Hobie's charging these days, those upgrades should be included...but now I'm getting off track :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    Alan

I have the Outback in Camo and love it. It comes with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. These are the first things that everyone upgrades. I like the extra power that I get from the turbo fins. I will say that Delaware Paddle Sports is the Hobie rep at the Great American Outdoor Show and last year offered an in store credit of $150. If you purchased while the show was on going. I used it to get the square hatch upgrade. That's the 3rd upgrade people do. Remember you pay NO sales tax in Delaware. That's why I drove over 2 hours to get mine, saved over $160 bucks.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I have the PA-12 in Camo and I have a Outback LE with the turbo fins and sailing rudder. Both those upgrades are worth it, and you should be getting the second generation 180 Mirage Drive (with Reverse).

I like the Camo color because it looks cool and hides all the blood and guts on deck lol. I keep my Yaks really clean, but the Camo does hide dirt which I love.

I am from the purchase local school of thought. Yes you save on taxes, but are you going to drive two hours to get any warranty issues taken care of??? Or force the local shop you bypassed to fix it???

This is one of those pricey items you can buy, that the internet can't fix if you need it. Those local shop owners stay open with parts and service because we support them.
    Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

I have had two Outbacks- being a big guy (6’ 250#) I need a boat rated for my size- Revo is too small for me...upgraded both with Turbofins and sailing rudder...necessity for me...the next “necessity” was a high quality gps/Fishfinder...love the side scan feature...and then a custom rocket launcher rod holder for multiple rods...once I made mine- I do not use any of the other rod holders on my boat...makes all the difference in the world...why spend a lot of money on rodholders and mounts- the two behind the seat built in holders are where my custom rocket launcher fits and while I installed 4 of the YakAttack aluminum rails and backing plates...(I don’t regret that) they don’t get used except to hold my YakAttack carbon visipole flag...

PS...you gotta have a HD scupper cart- essential piece of gear
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I purchased a slate-colored Revo from DPS last November. It's a beautiful boat but if the Revo had come in camo I would have bought it. I just like the camo color. My Ultimate is kind of a camo color and I really like its appearance.

Outbacks are great fishing boats. I've pedaled one extensively that belongs to a friend. But they're just little too heavy for me on land and I like the way the lighter, sleeker Revos efficiently cut through choppy water.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Red Native Ultimate 14.5

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com and via PM

Thanks everybody! I knew you all wouldn't let me down. If everybody here raves about the turbo fins and larger rudder, I'm sold. Great insight from everyone.

I live in AACo., but my parents have a beach house in Delaware, so it's not a big deal buying from the guys at DPS. That's probably where I'll end up going. And yes, they are offering the $150 during the show again. Gonna use it to get some wheels - I lug my Ocean Kayak Big Game around without them, and I've wrenched my back a couple times, and have no interest in going anywhere that I am more than 100 yards or so from the water when parking. That will definitely be the first thing I change this time around!
    2018 Hobie Compass

another +1 on the turbo fins, worth the money. I have a PA which I believe already has the upgraded rudder, but the next upgrade on my girlfriends blue outback (see signature) is 100% the turbo fins

camo (color alone) I think is a $200 upcharge, and thats all dependant on your style and "looks". of course if you see a CAMO boat on the water, you know its a 2017 or later model.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream