Beat Cabin Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat Cabin Fever

This is not a kayak video, but it is a great way to beat cabin fever. I had an opportunity to go on a walk-on fishing trip with Captain Walleye Pete last week. The fishing was pretty amazing. We caught a lot of fish with quite a few nice ones. I lucked out and fished when it was in the 50s outside. The only problem now is that I have the itch really bad now. I hope to take my kayak out soon, since some places are not iced over anymore. I hope you enjoy the video.

Tommy
    2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
    Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Great pullage. Calvert Cliffs stays “hot” for a couple more months.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for starting this topic as I’ve been meaning to ask a question. Me and a buddy went to CCNPP with kayaks recently. We put in at the nature park. Only problem is there’s nearly a mile to from the parking lot to get your kayak in the water. Where do you all launch?
      Native Titan Propel 12
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
      Mercury 6hp
      Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
      Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I've haven't fished the CCNPP from a kayak. I would like to try it some time. Nature park is the closet place that I know of to launch a kayak.
        Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by TomyTek View Post
          I've haven't fished the CCNPP from a kayak. I would like to try it some time. Nature park is the closet place that I know of to launch a kayak.
          I only been there a few times, but it was always really snotty. Not sure it is a spot for a yak, I never seen one there. The current rips and it gets rough quick. Every once and a while you hear of a small boat biting it in the rips. I think Pete is in a Judge, which is a really solid boat, making it look decievingly calm. Maybe someone else could chime in about kayaking there.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Walleye Pete keeps his boat at Flag Harbor -- a private marina a short ways north of Calvert Cliffs. I don't think they have public launch facilities. The closest public launch is probably Breezy Point (12 miles north). You could also launch from the public launch at Solomons, but it is 14 miles away. I have fished the power plant from both of those launch points, but was always in a boat of 23' or longer when I did it.

Plus, now that the Cove Pt LNG plant has started its natural gas exports (just this week), there are likely to be exclusion zones around the large dock facility there that could make the trip from Solomons even longer.

Unless you have access to a community marina or beach near Calvert Clilffs, there is no easy kayak access to fish there. The outfall pipe is in open bay water. When both generating units are operating at the power plant, approximately 3 billion gallons per day of slightly heated water passes through the outfall. Even on a calm day, this creates some turbulence and current near the outfall.

There are other warm water discharges in the Baltimore Harbor and elsewhere in the state that may offer easier access for kayak anglers. If you badly want to fish the Calvert Cliffs discharge, consider getting together with a few buddies and booking a half-day trip with Walleye Pete. There are other light tackle guides that fish that area too. I believe that Greg Shute (http://www.ifishmd.com/), Dennis Fleming (https://www.fishamajigguideservice.com/blank-cfvg), and others offer similar trips.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I know a couple of guys that have fished it from their Kayaks. It can also get really busy, so there can be a lot of boats around. Make sure you are highly visible. I've been there in good and bad conditions from a boat. You would really have to pick your days to fish it. Now that I think about it, you would get quite a workout with the current. I just got a Bixpy Jet, so that would help quite a bit.
              Tommy

Comment

Working...
              X