Halfassed Bonafide SS127 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfassed Bonafide SS127 Review

Our local NuCanoe dealer got in on the first round of Bonafide shipments, so I went over to have a look. The reason this review is "half assed" is because I obviously didn't float the boat. I am working on getting my Pursuit, an SS127, and a Native Slayer 13.5 side by side.

Here's a link to a small album with some descriptions.

Videos here:
    In-Hull rod storage
    Dry Pod Access
    Seat Latch Mechanism
    Self-Storing Rear Handle
    Front Hatch Operation
    Footpeg Operation

Here's my "review":

These boats are definitely impressive. My first impressions from the released pictures were something closer to the appearance of a Titan or a PA---the stern isn't nearly as square as I was imagining it to be and she doesn't look all that big to me, especially not parked next to a Frontier 12. I would that these boats are a good value at $1600, not exactly a killer deal---but a good value. That sets you firmly in the territory of the upper-standard class of full size, full featured boats, with every major competitor having something excellent in a similar price range.

They've gone the extra mile to make these boats fishable from the sales floor---value added features all over with an eye towards YakAttack products (obviously.) The rear deck pads are pre-cut to perfectly accommodate a blackpack, for example. The addition of textured, color-matched deck pads is a very nice feature too. All the latch mechanisms are solid and intuitive, the rails are all very solidly attached, there are stays and catches to make things easier to operate and harder to drop, all of that is appreciated. The front hatch can opened from both sides, an interesting and convenient feature I haven't seen before. At its price point, this boat is certainly a heavy contender and I've got no question about what it's stability is going to be like with that hollow catamaran hull. The stern is pre-tapped/drilled for a powerpole/riverstick and they've added passages for a rudder that will apparently ship at a later time. There is also a rear-access port to the interior of the stern hull, but for reasons I don't understand, they've made it square and attached with bolts instead of being a normal twisting hatch---meaning you can't access it without tools.

I will say that, for my money, the Pursuit remains the boat for me for the following killer features missing from the Bonafide, recognizing that I'm a weird little snowflake:

1. The open deck. Sure, the removable pod is nice. IDK how you're going to put your transducer on it without drilling (and thus putting the "dry" part at risk), but I would personally much rather handle large fish, other people, etc, from the wide open deck of the pursuit than the footwell style deck of the SS127. Again, I recognize that most people aren't taking kids or girlfriends in their boats with them---but it absolutely won't be comfortable in the SS127.

2. In-deck rod storage. When I got my Pursuit, I liked the idea of the rod storage, but I didn't recognize what a killer feature it is to have out of the way, protected rod storage available all the time. I don't even take my rods out of the boat for the most part, except for cleaning or relining, etc. I carry two and a stake-out pole, with the option to add a third if I feel like it. I can't step on them, I can drive with them in there, it's just rad. The Bonafide offers several options for rod storage, but none as easy as the Pursuit. They WANT you to put them INSIDE the hull. I have video of how easy it is to put a 7'11" rod and reel inside the hull---and it IS easy, but you're not gonna want to be doing that on the water. The under-seat tray has cutouts for rod handles...but then they're literally in your feet. Again, maybe for transport but not actual use on the water save for setting it down to tie on a new bit of tackle or something. On the outboard side of the seat, integrated into the side handles, are spaces for rods/reels, with a bungee strap that goes over the reel---exactly like most of us are used to using as paddle stays. When set here, the rod tracks down a recessed groove to the front of the boat and can then tuck under the front rubber stay or track on top of it. This is nice, BUT, it means that you'll always have to lean over and use to hands to secure, unsecure your rod and, if you fumble the bungee, your rod's going in the drink. I don't love. I don't carry rods vertically from a crate EVER unless trolling, because of trees and back-cast tangles, so your only other option in this boat would be rear mounted, back angled zookas or something. Bleh.

3. The front hatch doesn't have a container in it. I feel like this is a MASSIVE oversight on their part. I get that they want you to store stuff inside the hull and that's harder to do with a box in there---but I keep lots of stuff permanently in my boat. Toilet paper, sunscreen, bugspray, matches, water purifier, things that are easy to forget that I don't EVER want to be without, plus if we take towels or whatever that day I want them off the deck and not wet. Yes, there's the removable pod but it isn't huge and will probably have your battery and such in it. There's the underseat tray for sure too, but again it won't be dry and that's where your tackle is gonna go.

4. I carry a cooler AND a crate. I think a lot of us do. There's no space behind the seat at all, unless you hang from the seat which is probably an option w/ softsided coolers. The rear deck is big enough for a crate OR a cooler, unless you have a blackpack, in which case you'll have the blackpack and nothing else. In the pursuit I can carry a 40 quart marine cooler, plus a crate, plus still have room to throw a wire stringer full of fish.

5. I feel like the seat mechanism is just overly built and overly complicated. I'm lucky enough to have the high-low seat in my pursuit, and I very much appreciate that the bonafide goes higher---but man that mechanism is huge and takes up a LOT of space.

Full Disclosure:
    There ARE things I like better than the Pursuit:

1. I love the handles. The Pursuit's handles SUCK. However, with my C-Tug, the handles are a non-issue for the most part.

2. I love the deck. I'll NEVER shell out the cash for a Sea-Dek, but I will pad the deck at some point.

3. The strength of the fore-hatch door. It's too tall, takes up too much space, but I suspect it's tougher than the Pursuit's front hatch. I'm always griping at my son to stop sitting on it.

4. The paddle stay. That flap of rubber across the front hatch makes it easy to slide your paddle in and let it go. Still working on a more tenable solution in the Pursuit.
    Last edited by WVKayakFisher; 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

I thought you were posting a "bonadife review," but then I realized you posted a 'Bonafide' review!

Interesting name for a boat! I'm in the same thought process, coughing up the cash for 'SeaDek' is a challenge, there are several DIY (and much more cost effective) alternatives.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

If you want a real chuckle, look up the name of the guy who runs the company...same guy who owns YakAttack. (I'll help. It's Lou Ciphers.) Tough go being named after satan and all, lol.
      2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
      2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
      2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

Working...
      X