Cabin Fever and You Tube Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin Fever and You Tube Videos

This winter has been about as cold as I can remember...it kicked off with an abnormally cold November and December was record breaking...January had a few warm up “tease” days, but windy...took a week of warmer than normal temps to free the heavy ice so we could even get our kayaks to open water...so like a lot of folks with cabin fever I have resorted to watching You Tube video...learned somethings I did not know- Salt Strong had a couple on abrasion tests of lines I found interesting- discovered that monofilament was much more abrasion resistant than florocarbon and that the cheaper bulk florocarbon was exactly the same as the much more expensive leader florocarbon...Seeker Rods video on how they manufacture rods was great...the TA clip video strength test vs other snap line fasteners was eye-opening...so even an “old” dog can learn some new tricks thanks to “cabin fever”...the failure to be able to kayak fish in inclement winter weather...looking at the long-range, thirty-day weather forcast...supposed to bring more moderate temps...so maybe there is relief soon from cabin fever...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I'm dying to get back out there. I don't think Ive been able to get out since late October. I started watching youtube videos but had to stop because I get the urge to fish when I watch them I haven't been able to. Be careful with those long range forecasts. Most sites don't give you an actual forecast past 10 or 15 days, they'll just give you the daily average (from past years) for that day.

Just curious, what is everyone's go to weather source? I'm partial to weather underground myself.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Weather Underground for me.

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
        I'm dying to get back out there. I don't think Ive been able to get out since late October. I started watching youtube videos but had to stop because I get the urge to fish when I watch them I haven't been able to. Be careful with those long range forecasts. Most sites don't give you an actual forecast past 10 or 15 days, they'll just give you the daily average (from past years) for that day.

Just curious, what is everyone's go to weather source? I'm partial to weather underground myself.
        I got out for a day fresh water fishing for Rainbow trout with UL spinning tackle- limited out in two hours, but it did not really scratch the itch...I do not watch fishing videos so much as “how to” and reviews of gear like the TA clips vs. Duolock strength test...like you watching someone else holding the rod gives me the unrealistic desire to get Lady Luck wet...in weather that is foolhardy...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah I am getting cabin fever too. Besides making time for the occasional you tube videos I was able to go to two fishing flea markets to take the edge off. This is the first year in 8 years that I have not caught a fish in January. I have caught a fish every month since 2010, so this is the first time that I have come up empty in January due to time, weather, and other things. I am not going to be skunked for Feb 2018.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I was able to beat cabin fever by getting on a walk-on fishing trip. The fishing was outstanding. I just finished making the video. I'll post it shortly. The winter has actually allowed me to work on video footage I've had for months. I hope to take out my Outback soon. I have to test my new motor and dry suite.

I check the NOAA and use the Fish Weather app for wind and weather. The app allows me to check quickly. I check several days out, but check frequently. If it looks good, I just hope it doesn't change last minute. With my luck, most times it does. Then I just change my launch location.
            Tommy
            2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
            Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
            https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

I was able to do some pickerel fishing from shore last Sunday in the only spot I could find that wasn’t still iced over. My fiancé and I each hooked into a big pickerel, but both came off. Now the itch is really bad, knowing that was probably my last opportunity for a while.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

first i was rained in, then stuck in the house with the flu......steady youtube diet of fly tying videos, tying, and planning summer smallmouth floats with my son....today's fly? my first ever clouser deep minnow....
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You cannot go wrong with a Clouser Minnow for smallmouth or for most other fish species for that matter in both fresh and tidal waters.

Good job on your first Clouser ties.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X