Introduction - New member from Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - New member from Maryland

Been reading the headlines here for about a month and created an account today. Grew up on the water in southern Maryland. Parents were sailboat people. Spent my summers fishing from sailboats ... and dinghies, a bay-built skiff that sunk every time it rained, and various aluminum johnboats. Had my own OT Penobscot 17 through the late 80s and into the 90s. Gifted that to my nephews in 1994 when my wife and I bought our first kayak, a Perception/Aquaterra Keowee 2 that we still have. Guess that means I've been paddling kayaks around for about 24 years and various other paddle-craft for 45 or so. Goodness, I'm getting old.

Wife and daughters gave me an Old Town Predator PDL for Christmas last month and I've been anxiously waiting for the ice to break up on my creek ever since. Took it out on its maiden voyage this past Saturday. Plan to spend the spring and summer fishing mostly in Potomac tributaries, but hope to venture out into the Bay, at least a few times, by the end of the year. A good friend has a Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 and is anxious to have a wingman on the Bay - So I'll be all-in, once I'm comfortable in the new boat.

Anyway, here I am. Looking forward to enjoying the water with you all ... electronically at least.
    Last edited by GUNS&ROTORS; 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM. Reason: omitted the word "by"

Welcome aboard lots of us fish year round check out the Meet & Great on the forums.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Welcome! This is a great place to learn fishing techniques, launch points, and to meet a lot of excellent fisherman. I highly recommend meet and greets as well, they're typically held on the 2nd Saturday of each month. We meet up, fish for a few hours, and then all eat at a local spot. However there are many that only do one or the other. I learned a lot from several meet and greets I attended during my first year of kayak fishing (2016). It took me a few months to get proficient at it, but trolling for rockfish soon became very productive for me, and it's still my go to method now on the bay.

You've got a very nice kayak, those pedal drives are great for fishing. Investing in a good pair of waders and a dry top, or a drysuit, would be my next tip for fishing this time of year. You may already have one though. Looking forward to meeting you out on the water

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome aboard,this is a great group of guys always willing to help out,enjoy!
        Snow Camo Lure 11.5
        Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
        Hummingbird Helix 5
        Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

hey, welcome, we'll look forward to seeing you.
          Several guys, including Fishtank, have predators, though the guys i know have paddle yaks!
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by daddyg View Post
            Welcome aboard lots of us fish year round check out the Meet & Great on the forums.
            Thanks, I'll do that!

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Welcome! This is a great place to learn fishing techniques, launch points, and to meet a lot of excellent fisherman. I highly recommend meet and greets as well, they're typically held on the 2nd Saturday of each month. We meet up, fish for a few hours, and then all eat at a local spot. However there are many that only do one or the other. I learned a lot from several meet and greets I attended during my first year of kayak fishing (2016). It took me a few months to get proficient at it, but trolling for rockfish soon became very productive for me, and it's still my go to method now on the bay.

You've got a very nice kayak, those pedal drives are great for fishing. Investing in a good pair of waders and a dry top, or a drysuit, would be my next tip for fishing this time of year. You may already have one though. Looking forward to meeting you out on the water

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
            Thanks! I'm very interested in kayak trolling. Used to troll, rowing a john boat when I was a kid. Have done some casual trolling from our tandem, but never mounted rod holders on it. I'd just cross my legs and wedge the rod in the crook of my knee ...

Have a couple of wetsuits and a pair of neoprene waders, but no drysuit.

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
            Welcome aboard,this is a great group of guys always willing to help out,enjoy!
            Thanks!

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            hey, welcome, we'll look forward to seeing you.
            Several guys, including Fishtank, have predators, though the guys i know have paddle yaks!
            Thanks!

I was out in the wind on Saturday. That pedal drive was a game-changer when I was beating into it a few times.

Comment

As many above have said (and i'm sure you reckon by reading the forums prior to joining) this is a great group of anglers with awesome comraderie. like any group we have our moments (heated LTJ discussions, or fresh vs salt water, etc) but the willingness to share experience, technique, and wisdom (and not often, the honey hole spots) is unmatched by any other group i've been a part of.

try and make it to a meet & greet (especially the warmer weather) the luncheon's following the fishing are always full of humor and "fishing stories".
              Last edited by mchottie; 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Welcome aboard! I was a lurking on here for a while before I even owned a Kayak. MOC finally convinced me to get one and it was the best decision I've made. I still have my boat, but I used my kayak way more last year. I've met a few guys on the water and at some of the fishing shows. There is a wealth of knowledge here with people that are will to share information.
                Tommy
                2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
                Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
                https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

GUNS&ROTORS,

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

There are other old guys here but in name only. Kayak angling keeps us young. It will do the same for you.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                    As many above have said (and i'm sure you reckon by reading the forums prior to joining) this is a great group of anglers with awesome comraderie. like any group we have our moments (heated LTJ discussions, or fresh vs salt water, etc) but the willingness to share experience, technique, and wisdom (and not often, the honey hole spots) is unmatched by any other group i've been a part of.

Fresh vs salt water? I prefer fresh for drinking and salt for irrigating my sinuses!

try and make it to a meet & greet (especially the warmer weather) the luncheon's following the fishing are always full of humor and "fishing stories".
                    Originally posted by TomyTek View Post
                    Welcome aboard! I was a lurking on here for a while before I even owned a Kayak. MOC finally convinced me to get one and it was the best decision I've made. I still have my boat, but I used my kayak way more last year. I've met a few guys on the water and at some of the fishing shows. There is a wealth of knowledge here with people that are will to share information.
                    Thans & looking forward to it!

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    GUNS&ROTORS,

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

There are other old guys here but in name only. Kayak angling keeps us young. It will do the same for you.
                    Thanks!

On keeping young - sounds like a plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X