More Coastal Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Coastal Perch

A buddy and I went out this weekend for a few hours to search some coastal bay creeks for a perch dinner. It was my first trip this year. We started in a creek I've already fished this winter with success so we had high hopes. But fishing was slow from the start. We weren't catching anything in a good hole I knew for the first hour and then all of a sudden had a couple minutes of action getting 5 perch in a row before it ended. We left that spot and eventually picked up a few more perch casting the shallow mud flats on the way back to the launch, but nothing to write home about.

My buddy had to leave and I still had another hour or so I could fish so I stopped by a different creek on my way home. Again, it started pretty slow and I wasn't having any luck but a little flurry of action hit and I pulled a quick 8 more perch out before I had to leave. No jumbos this time, but the perch were all around 11 - 12.5". I got all mine on little 2" crappie soft plastics.

Kept 6 for dinner and released the rest. I'm starting to like this perch fishing thing; it's a good way to pass the winter

DSCF0032.jpg
    Brian

Catching nice size perch are always fun on light tackle. My younger sister ate perch for the first time last year and loved it. She preferred their taste than rockfish.
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Nice fish, thanks for keeping hope alive. My wife prefers perch to rockfish. I need to find time to find some winter holes for them. Plus, should be about Yellow Perch time but I don't like to catch momma's full of eggs.

Comment

Nice job with the perch. I had a good perch spot in the upper bay but the fish have not been there the last 3 years. I miss the good perch action.

Comment

Working...
        X