Johnson’s Pond- Salisbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson’s Pond- Salisbury

I had an awesome morning of fishing today with a couple of new kayak buddies. I got to the launch early and decided to throw my new baitcaster... apparently, I am a terrible baitcast fisherman, but managed an 8” large mouth to kick things off!

The guys got there at 9 and we set out. I am not much of a freshwater fisherman, so, even though I had switched back to my spinning gear, I felt like had a total mismatch with lures/rods. Anyway, after watching my hosts catch largies and pics, I hit the banks and picked up my first pickerel.

Once I landed it (~3.5lbs), the wind picked up. The pic managed to get each of the barbless trebles in his mouth/gills, so I was distracted by emergency surgery, not noticing the low hanging tree that nearly took all the gear off my yak... total mess, but a clean release and recovered my gear.

Next, I set out exploring. I don’t ever go from spot to spot without trolling. I did this for the next 45 mins and picked up 2 more nice pics! A 4lb and a 5.5lb slob!

So much fun- thanks guys. Take a stranger fishing!!1567433C-352C-4E82-8F37-4C47935ADEAC.jpg

Congratulations on the impressive pickerels.

You had a very good winter outing.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Cool good fishing !!!

Comment

I used to catch these on the lake I grew up on. We called them Pike or Northern Pike. Is there a difference or just what they are called in these parts?
        Native Titan Propel 12
        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp
        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Great winter pillage. I always troll when changing spots in freshwater.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Any day with a pickerel landed in the boat, is a very good day!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Unknown.jpeg

Above is Pickerel (Esox Americans). They don't get very big. A 5 pound fish is a trophy!

Unknown-2.jpeg

This is a Northern Pike (Esox Lucius) . They can get quite large. The Maryland record is 46" and 24 pounds.
              Last edited by bignose; 01-28-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I lived on Johnson's pond for a year. I live in Salisbury and fish it quite regularly in the winter and early spring before the salt heats up. It has some slob pickerel. The MD freshwater pickerel was caught there just a couple of years ago. I caught one last year that was 28" in the hawg trough and have caught several in the mid-20's.

Although I am not much of a bass fisherman, I can catch the $h*t out of them with they are on their beds (who cant? lol). There are some piggies in there, especially towards the back of the pond, in the flooded timber. You can also catch literally dozens upon dozens of crappie (and even a few white/yellow perch) with a minnow under a bobber along the edges of the pond towards the back.

The strangest catch I managed out of there would have to be a 36" rockfish on a frog (I thought I had a 14 lb LMB!). They come in from the damn that connects to the Wicomico. When the Wicomico floods, they open the gates and Johnson's pond absorbs the "overflow", allowing some saltwater species to come in. I'm sure the birdlife also helps some saltwater species get in there. One morning in the fall, while washing dishes and looking out the window, I witnessed a full on blitz of mid 20" rock chasing minnows. I grabbed my rod with a topwater and managed one 22" before they spread out.

Glad you all had a good day! Such a cool pond to fish.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Very cool! My buddy and I were just debating whether to fish there this past weekend or to perch fish. We ended up perch fishing instead. I've heard nothing but good things about the pickerel fishery there. One day I have to make it over there.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22863[/ATTACH]

Above is Pickerel (Esox Americans). They don't get very big. A 5 pound fish is a trophy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22864[/ATTACH]

This is a Northern Pike (Esox Lucius) . They can get quite large. The Maryland record is 46" and 24 pounds.
                    Thanks. They do look very similar. Yeah, the Pike I caught growing up were pretty big.
                    Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                    Mercury 6hp
                    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Nice job on the pickerel. Any idea how long they were? I caught some big ones this fall up to 26 1/2 but have no idea what they weighed.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                        Nice job on the pickerel. Any idea how long they were? I caught some big ones this fall up to 26 1/2 but have no idea what they weighed.
                        Mike,

This link may give you an idea:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9222.html
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Our family moved to Salisbury in '72 to a house on Johnson's Pond.
                          My parents still live there and I allways take some time to fish when I visit.
                          Roy Parker had his tackle shop across the street, called Mil-Roy's.

Comment

Where is a good place to launch?
                            John Rentch
                            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by wbr View Post
                              Our family moved to Salisbury in '72 to a house on Johnson's Pond.
                              My parents still live there and I allways take some time to fish when I visit.
                              Roy Parker had his tackle shop across the street, called Mil-Roy's.
                              I’m afraid that tackle shop isn’t there anymore. Not too many options in Salisbury other than Dicks, unfortunately.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X