Thread: Potomac Launch MD side

Default Potomac Launch MD side

Could someone tell the MD launch on the upper Potomac across from Algonkian Park on the VA side. I want to try my hand at bass fishing the Potomac a little more this year. I always see guys coming through a tunnel on the MD side that is lower down from VA's Algonkian launch. Is it Seneca Creek? If so, how's is the launch? Do you have to walk far with the yak?
    Thanks
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

yes, its rileys lock off of seneca creek rd. small ramp with ample parking. lots of small mouth to be caught around there, especially south near the rips. late in the summer, it gets burried in hydrilla out in the potomac

^^^^^
    Thanks fellas. I always see guys coming out of there, but never knew where it was. So for a guy who has no clue when it comes to smallmouth, when does it start on the Potomac? I getting itchy
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Rich hosted a M&G last year, and I've never targeted smallmouth, so let me tell you a 14" smallmouth in the river pulls just about as hard as a 22" striper in the bay. Fiesty little buggers.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by mchottie View Post
    Rich hosted a M&G last year, and I've never targeted smallmouth, so let me tell you a 14" smallmouth in the river pulls just about as hard as a 22" striper in the bay. Fiesty little buggers.
    Especially on a light weight rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by summersoff View Post
    ^^^^^
    Thanks fellas. I always see guys coming out of there, but never knew where it was. So for a guy who has no clue when it comes to smallmouth, when does it start on the Potomac? I getting itchy
    Although I am sure you can catch them year round...to increase the odds you should probably wait until March/April to start. I have had lots of success with river smallies using a 1/16 jig with 3" brown/orange twister tail (crayfish pattern) and a 4-5" white fluke style unweighted soft plastic with 3/0 hook. If one isn't working, the other will. Just cast behind anything blocking the current or into shoreline eddies. jig will catch just about anything in those waters! You will lose some to snags, but braided line with a 8 lb mono leader usually is enough to bend the hook straight so you can free it without breaking. Fish the fluke with a dieing minnow pattern, occasional twitches as it drifts with current. Good luck!
    Green Old Town Loon 111