Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lake Anna Striper an LM on another Frigid Day (Jan 15, 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna Striper an LM on another Frigid Day (Jan 15, 2018)

There was no place to fish during the East Coast Deep Freeze of 2017/2018. It was bitterly cold and windy in the coastal areas.
    So, I headed for Dike 3 (cold side) in Lake Anna on Jan 15, 2018. There is a power plant that feeds the warn water to the lake.
    Again, I was the only on the frigid day until noon.

The water temp at Dike 3 was lower than average of this time of the year by about 20 F.
    • Air Temp: 5 – 30 F (under 10 F until 10:00 AM)
    • Water Temp: 40- 45 F (lower than average by 18 F)
    • Wind: 6 – 10 MPH

I sprayed the reels with “Reel Magic”. This helps when the reels get iced up (100% chance). I did not bring bait-casting reels. They aren’t quite for the cold days when spools get iced up immediately.

I had a large bottle of hot water in my cooler so I can keep drinks and food unfrozen for 8-10 hours.

2 GoPro cameras and my iPhone didn’t work 20 minutes after the launch. I have learned in the past Gopro or other camers didn’t work somewhere under 10 F. It was the first time even iPhone didn’t work. I kept lures and sunglasses under the center hatch. But the hatch was frozen shut. So, I had to come back to de-ice the hatch and to warm up GoPro cameras and the iPhone (using the hot air from the dashboard vent in my truck).

I found a small flock of feeding birds early. After the break, I found a few school of striper. I managed to stay with the schools of striper.
    I caught about 10 striper (no hybrid) at 16 - 20”. # were at 20”.

Video Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Joe, I live about 30 minutes away from Lake Anna. You sir are MUCH braver than I! The cold has been ugly away from the water, I can only imagine being on it! LOL Great job on the fish, that was a nice LMB! I will get on the Lake one day, but my heart is in the salt!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
      Joe, I live about 30 minutes away from Lake Anna. You sir are MUCH braver than I! The cold has been ugly away from the water, I can only imagine being on it! LOL Great job on the fish, that was a nice LMB! I will get on the Lake one day, but my heart is in the salt!
      I hear you. On this coming Sat or Sun, depending on the wind, I am trying to hit CBBT for tog one more time. The probability of getting zero bite at CBBT is 99.9% this time of the year.

BTW, here are my two favorite lures (pearl based color) for Lake Anna :

Joe

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Well Joe, I'm sure you'll fall in the .1%! Thanks for the info on the lures. I have been reading that they like the pearl down here. I'll add some to the tackle box for when I do get out there!

Comment

Same here. I will have to make a trip down to Lake Anna some day with my kayak. The last time that I went I was in a paddle canoe with less than spectacular results, but I am sure my kayak will do the trick of landing some fish.
          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
          2016 Hobie Outback LE
          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
          X