Ice Map/Charts for the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Map/Charts for the Bay

Does anyone know of a link/web site that shows where the ice is on the Bay?? I live an hour plus away and would hate to get there and find it iced in. So any info would be great. Thanks.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Great question. I live right on the Bay. Right now, the creeks and Rivers would be pretty icy. The main stem is hit or miss. If you can find a pier that has a swim platform you would be pretty set. Also, going further south is a good bet due to slightly warmer temps and more salt. If you could get an extra hour or so and drive 2-3 hours south I think you’d be fine. I’m just south of Annapolis for reference.

Has anyone tried Point Lookout?
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Tangier Sound has significant large icebergs

Comment

I'm on Kent Island on the east side and shipping creek and the narrows are iced in. I cross the bridge everyday for work and it is pretty icy out there under the bridge aside from the shipping channel. The ice started breaking up a few days ago but keeps reforming each night. hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
          Does anyone know of a link/web site that shows where the ice is on the Bay?? I live an hour plus away and would hate to get there and find it iced in. So any info would be great. Thanks.
          Check the Ice report up top. Then for the Chesapeake/Delaware map Full screen the map and zoom in, you see the satellite imaging better.

https://coastwatch.chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/
          Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-17-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            Check the Ice report up top. Then for the Chesapeake/Delaware map Full screen the map and zoom in, you see the satellite imaging better.

https://coastwatch.chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/
            I've been watching this report all winter. It doesn't come out every day, but definitely seems to reflect even small changes pretty well. I'm rooting really hard for blues and greens. The yellow says 30%-70% coverage which, if I were coming from a decent distance, certainly wouldn't give me much comfort. Fingers crossed for warmer weather!
            Matt
            Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
            2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
            10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

This will give you an idea of what the Severn looked like just last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's tough to tell until you actually visit the ramp. Sometimes the water is starting to clear but the ice has been pushed into the ramps. I drove over the key bridge this morning and the channel is open. However, the entire east side is frozen solid. The wind blew all the ice of there. If the wind switches, it could all end up on the other side. I've gotten stuck that way once before...ok, maybe it was twice!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

The most recent chart from the Naval Ice Center looks really promising BUT (because there's always a but) as Alan mentioned the drifting ice is sketchy for sure. Looking towards the weekend, Saturday should be a nice warm up and then possibly some rain next week to rot out some of the more stubborn spots. Maybe a chance to get out for some catfish this weekend or next? Who knows for sure, but at this point watching maps and temperatures is the closest I've gotten to fishing since before the freeze so I'll take it!
                  Matt
                  Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                  2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                  10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Working...
                  X