Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying some new gear, kayak, rod and reel questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are an overabundance of good rods at the $100 price point, the new Mojo Bass rods are a bit more but are getting rave reviews and the blank is the same as the more expensive Avid line.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
      There are an overabundance of good rods at the $100 price point, the new Mojo Bass rods are a bit more but are getting rave reviews and the blank is the same as the more expensive Avid line.
      I like the mojo line and the dobyns colt and Fury lines. Hoping to handle them at the sportsmans show.

Comment

For around here in Washington County I use ML rods. I only use M for the bay and you could use MH down there. I have had 28" snake heads and large stripers on medium rods and when hooked up in a kayak you boat gives and the fish pulls you, so you don't need as heavy of a rod.

I have a Commander 120 and a Ride 135 with the high seat you can paddle anytime down near Fairplay.

Watch some of the kayaks as being a bigger guy and sitting low like the Talon. Some dip at the seat with no scupper hole to trap water. Some have scupper holes and water will come up and wet your Azz down. Constantly wet all day leaving you in the dreaded "Swamp Ass" feeling. As I told you before, the seat can make or break the entire kayak for you.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by DJones2987 View Post
          I fish small rivers, basically creeks and a few flat ponds with no motors allowed. And yeah, I may hunt out of it, though I use my flat bottom usually. I'll check some shops here soon, planning on a cabelas/bass pro trip soon.
          DJones,

I second what John Veil advised you and I can speak from much experience fishing from an Ultimate 12 in precisely the kinds of waters you mentioned above. You can see in my signature line that I have a pedal kayak too but I use the Ultimate 12 much more during the year than my pedal boat. My Ultimate 12 offers a stable yet comfortable ride and it is very easy to paddle. It's an aesthetically pleasing boat to the eye, well designed with a sharp bow and stern to glide easily through the water. It tracks very well for a 12 foot boat.

I also have paddled the Ultimate 14.5 on many guided trips in FL. Given its extra length it tracks even better than the Ultimate 12. But it is about 10 pounds or so heavier. The 12 foot version is listed at 49 pounds. The 14.5 is quite seaworthy. I have been in 2 foot waves and double digit winds with it and I have never felt I was going to lose control. The boat remains stable even when it takes a few waves over the gunnels. I have carried 4 or 5 gallons of water back to the launch in heavy seas with no problem paddling or tracking. Now I wouldn't want to make that a habit. But I mention it because some, I believe, shy away from the Ultimate 12 or 14.5 because neither boat has scuppers. But with judicious use it is a safe boat in either length in marginal conditions that may arise after you depart the launch.

The only negative thing I can say about either model is that they both will turn into a strong wind. But I know that is common with many kayak brands.

Chris Dollar is an Ultimate dealer in Maryland and in Delaware, Delaware Paddlesports carries them.

Good luck in your decision. Whatever brand of kayak you choose will introduce you to a new and exciting way to fish. You're going to have lots of fun.
          Last edited by Mark; 01-27-2018, 11:10 AM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I've recently discovered the Feel Free kayaks. The moken 12.5 looks like a hell of a boat for 800 bucks. I really like the perception pescador pro 12 too.

The Field and Stream Eagle Talon goes on sale for $399 every summer. It seems like a lot of kayak for that little money. And of course I would upgrade the seat.

Comment

If budget is the utmost priority, those F&S boats look good. I almost purchased the Shadow Caster (I missed the sale when it dropped from 799 to 599) as my first plastic boat, but opted for a different 12' sit on.

As my signature shows, we are 100% pedal drive now, but my budget-boat still holds the trophy for my largest landed snakehead at 31.5". The pedal drive is definitly at a dissadvantage in the shallows and where subsurface terrain can damage or destroy the drive hardware.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                If budget is the utmost priority, those F&S boats look good. I almost purchased the Shadow Caster (I missed the sale when it dropped from 799 to 599) as my first plastic boat, but opted for a different 12' sit on.

As my signature shows, we are 100% pedal drive now, but my budget-boat still holds the trophy for my largest landed snakehead at 31.5". The pedal drive is definitly at a dissadvantage in the shallows and where subsurface terrain can damage or destroy the drive hardware.
                The more I research the more I like the Perception Pescador Pro 120. A semi local shop has a 2017 on sale for $100 off making it $729 which is a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                X