Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying some new gear, kayak, rod and reel questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying some new gear, kayak, rod and reel questions!

Hey everyone, I'm Doug, and live in Washington County. I've been fishing from my flat bottom for years now, but wanna get into kayak fishing.

I fish mostly the Conoceague River and a small local lake, looking to purchase a kayak this spring to get into some new spots.

Leaning toward a 10' Ascend or a Pescador Pro as far as the kayak goes,

I'm thinking a 6'6" M or MH rod with a fast tip. However, I can't decide on a spinning setup or baitcaster. I've narrowed down the rods to a Berkeley lightning shock or Dobyns Colt or Fury.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ascends are awesome for the price. I have a 123t and I love it. Shop around and don’t forget to check used as well. As far as rods go I can’t offer insight on those in particular. I’m quite set with Ducketts. And as far as reels I’d recommend to go with a baitcaster, and a Lew’s to be specific!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by acwatkins View Post
      ascends are awesome for the price. I have a 123t and I love it. Shop around and don’t forget to check used as well. As far as rods go I can’t offer insight on those in particular. I’m quite set with Ducketts. And as far as reels I’d recommend to go with a baitcaster, and a Lew’s to be specific!

The ascend is one of the top runners right now, just can't decide on 10 or 12 the more I think about it. I'm planning on a Lews BB1 for a reel, and maybe a dobyns fury for the rod. I've fished with ugly stiks forever and am having a hard time getting away from them lol, though nobody seems to like them.

Comment

Originally posted by DJones2987 View Post
        The ascend is one of the top runners right now, just can't decide on 10 or 12 the more I think about it. I'm planning on a Lews BB1 for a reel, and maybe a dobyns fury for the rod. I've fished with ugly stiks forever and am having a hard time getting away from them lol, though nobody seems to like them.
        I started kayak fishing with a 10’ sit in. It was stable, light, very fast and maneuverable. However, it was uncomfortable for long outings and lacked storage. Now I have the 12’+ sit on, it is still stable, but heavy, super slow and not as maneuverable. However, I can stand, fish in a downpour (sit in = rain bucket), carry 8 rods and a lot of tackle, and have a very very comfy swivel seat. Really comes down to what you plan on doing and how you fish. I’ve never been an ugly stik fan but that’s because I have a technique/s specific rod for most applications now. Once you fish a crank bait on a crank bait rod and a spinnerbait on a spinnerbait rod it’s hard to go back to the all purposes. Great choice on the Lew’s [emoji6]

Comment

I started kayak fishing with a 10’ sit in. It was stable, light, very fast and maneuverable. However, it was uncomfortable for long outings and lacked storage. Now I have the 12’+ sit on, it is still stable, but heavy, super slow and not as maneuverable. However, I can stand, fish in a downpour (sit in = rain bucket), carry 8 rods and a lot of tackle, and have a very very comfy swivel seat. Really comes down to what you plan on doing and how you fish. I’ve never been an ugly stik fan but that’s because I have a technique/s specific rod for most applications now. Once you fish a crank bait on a crank bait rod and a spinnerbait on a spinnerbait rod it’s hard to go back to the all purposes. Great choice on the Lew’s [emoji6]

Any suggestions on around $100 or less casting rod? What length? Weight?

Comment

Originally posted by DJones2987 View Post
            Any suggestions on around $100 or less casting rod? What length? Weight?
            Absolutely. Duckett Ghost, $99. Id say 7’ medium heavy. Great for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, medium weight jigs and medium weighted plastics. I have 3 Ducketts, and plan on adding another this year.

Comment

I had one of the ascend sit on tops, the thing was honestly a turd to paddle. Plenty stable and comfortable just hated paddling it.

Comment

Absolutely. Duckett Ghost, $99. Id say 7’ medium heavy. Great for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, medium weight jigs and medium weighted plastics. I have 3 Ducketts, and plan on adding another this year.

I'll look into em, thanks!

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                I had one of the ascend sit on tops, the thing was honestly a turd to paddle. Plenty stable and comfortable just hated paddling it.

Yeah I'm afraid of that. The Perception Pescador Pro at $850 is one I really like and the Field and Stream eagle talon from dicks. I can get the F&S for like $400 on sale this spring which makes it really appealing.

Especially since I'm buying two kayaks, one for me, one for the lady.

I'm a member over on Maryland Shooters and they pointed me over here.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I just did a quick craigslist search and there's a few options out there for your price range, including one used perception pescador with carbon paddle for $500. I've been on a couple sit-on kayaks and although I prefer the hobies, I was on a wilderness ride 115 and fished for a half day off of it, and it was extremely comfortable. They also make the tarpon, which I believe comes in the smaller 10' size you may prefer. I assume pedal kayaks are not in your wheelhouse? I only ask because I've seen many on craigslist for around $1000 which isn't too bad really for what you're getting. They won't have the newer more comfortable seats or the upgraded drives, but you could def upgrade either of those items down the road (but I don't think the new seats are backwards compatible prior to 2015). And Feelfree kayaks are supposed to be great deals for the price, since you get rudders included on some models, and I think the ability to add in their pedal drive to the lure kayaks.

Comment

If you are not planning on fishing in large open water with waves of 2 ft or more, take a look at the Native Ultimate 12. It is a high-quality, lightweight, comfortable, easy-to-paddle, and roomy kayak that is great for freshwater fishing. You mentioned that you are in a Shooters club. I don't know if you would plan to hunt from your kayak -- the Ultimate 12 is used by some duck hunters. The Ultimate 12 (not the same as the Ultimate FX series) sells new at retail for about $949, but you may be able to find a discount from a dealer who has them in stock (particularly if you buy one for your wife too). For example, last year the Cabelas store in Delaware was selling a brand new Ultimate 12 for under $800. Apparently they decided not to carry that model any longer and offered a great clearance price. I suspect that the Ultimate will hold its value better than some of the other models you mentioned in your post.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                      I just did a quick craigslist search and there's a few options out there for your price range, including one used perception pescador with carbon paddle for $500. I've been on a couple sit-on kayaks and although I prefer the hobies, I was on a wilderness ride 115 and fished for a half day off of it, and it was extremely comfortable. They also make the tarpon, which I believe comes in the smaller 10' size you may prefer. I assume pedal kayaks are not in your wheelhouse? I only ask because I've seen many on craigslist for around $1000 which isn't too bad really for what you're getting. They won't have the newer more comfortable seats or the upgraded drives, but you could def upgrade either of those items down the road (but I don't think the new seats are backwards compatible prior to 2015). And Feelfree kayaks are supposed to be great deals for the price, since you get rudders included on some models, and I think the ability to add in their pedal drive to the lure kayaks.
                      Pedal drive is out of my price range and would get hung up on some of the lower points of where I fish. However they are nice.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      If you are not planning on fishing in large open water with waves of 2 ft or more, take a look at the Native Ultimate 12. It is a high-quality, lightweight, comfortable, easy-to-paddle, and roomy kayak that is great for freshwater fishing. You mentioned that you are in a Shooters club. I don't know if you would plan to hunt from your kayak -- the Ultimate 12 is used by some duck hunters. The Ultimate 12 (not the same as the Ultimate FX series) sells new at retail for about $949, but you may be able to find a discount from a dealer who has them in stock (particularly if you buy one for your wife too). For example, last year the Cabelas store in Delaware was selling a brand new Ultimate 12 for under $800. Apparently they decided not to carry that model any longer and offered a great clearance price. I suspect that the Ultimate will hold its value better than some of the other models you mentioned in your post.
                      I fish small rivers, basically creeks and a few flat ponds with no motors allowed. And yeah, I may hunt out of it, though I use my flat bottom usually. I'll check some shops here soon, planning on a cabelas/bass pro trip soon.

Comment

I started out with a Pompano 120, which is a West Marine house brand. The MSRP is $599, but I got mine for $399 during one of their sales and have seen that price come up a few times at the one near my house. It is a good, stable yak, but lacking in the back comfort I found that I needed. If you are under 200lbs and have a good back, it is worth a look.

As for a rod, look around for an old-new stock Fenwick Elite Smallmouth MH/F. It is a 6'8" rod, but has a nice short butt section for kayak use. They are discontinued but new ones pop up on ebay for around $80 and are a steal at that price.
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                          I started out with a Pompano 120, which is a West Marine house brand. The MSRP is $599, but I got mine for $399 during one of their sales and have seen that price come up a few times at the one near my house. It is a good, stable yak, but lacking in the back comfort I found that I needed. If you are under 200lbs and have a good back, it is worth a look.

As for a rod, look around for an old-new stock Fenwick Elite Smallmouth MH/F. It is a 6'8" rod, but has a nice short butt section for kayak use. They are discontinued but new ones pop up on ebay for around $80 and are a steal at that price.
                          I'm 6'1" about 200 lbs. For some reason I'm leaning toward the Field and Stream Eagle Talon.

I've been really into the Dobyns rods, the Colt and Fury. I'm headed to the sportsmans show in a few weeks and will look at some options then.

Comment

Yea, you might be too heavy for it then. I am ~210 and find the Pompano sits a little low for my liking. I have never had water come over the sides in calm conditions, but when out in any real chop I am in for a soggy rear for the rest of the day.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                              Yea, you might be too heavy for it then. I am ~210 and find the Pompano sits a little low for my liking. I have never had water come over the sides in calm conditions, but when out in any real chop I am in for a soggy rear for the rest of the day.
                              Yeah, we shall see. A buddy of mine has a few I'm gonna try out.

Now I know I'm going with a Lews reel but need to decide on a rod. Too many decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X