Kayakbuddys OUTBOARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW that looks fantastic!!!! great job!
    Please let us all know the cruising speed, top speed and how much fuel it uses.
    I really do like the mount, and the way it uses the rear rod holders. I never would of thought to make something like that and it's great that the whole rig can be taken off of the yak if you don't plan on using it. IMO that mount was worth the $ and it saved a lot of time.
    How much does the whole thing weigh? I know it has to be much lighter than a 30 to 50 pound thrust electric motor and a 50 pound lead acid battery.
    I am very impressed... and jealous, that is one awesome fishing machine.

Comment

Ill say 40# max total weight. I will keep a log on my lowrance when i take it out and check speeds... some video and pics and stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm definitely interested in hearing the numbers. I'm sure it will be a little faster than the electric on the top end, but the real difference is going to be average speed. You should be able to pretty much go full throttle everywhere, especially carrying an extra gallon of fuel which weights nothing.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thats my hopes as well.. and a gallon is like 4 refills so thats sone mileage... gonna be great now i can drift then power back upstream lol

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Suicyderider, Have you had a chance to get this out on the water for some testing?? If so how did it handle??
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                Suicyderider, Have you had a chance to get this out on the water for some testing?? If so how did it handle??
                Still not legal, the dealer mailed me my cert origin blank , 5hrs one way to drive there so gotta get it in mail

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I'm interested. Currently, I have my OK Trident MK40 endura split in half with the lower on my rudder post and the head mounted next to me in a rod holder. I hate lugging that and the batteries around.

On my first powered yak, I had the motor mounted like you and had to mount a 12 pound weight on the other side of the yak to balance it out. How much does your motor and lower weight?
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

19lbs
                    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

675. For my setup vs 2k for torqeedo. Ill deal w the noise and 3lb difference

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner
                        Afaic, not everything hinges on cost but I do agree on weight savings. Had Torqeedo have had the 915 battery when I was putting a powered system together than I would more than likely have gotten one. I didn't like the run time for the cost at that time and I am too vested now to change mine. Although my set up is not as light as either it's still very manageable and I am happy with it's total run time. If what you have chosen works for you and your happy that's great, your supplying him with information he's requested. I haven't said anything against it, my suggestion was for him on changes to what he currently is using based on his post should he decide not to go with gas powered. Just as food for thought nothing more.
                        Just saying my side of it. I can run all weekend long if i just toss a 1/2gal can in the back and never need to stop to charge either. So camping and kayaking theres that benefit.

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner
                          Suggestion for thought; If you don't want to go with gas powered, get rid of the head and switch to using a pwm controller. You'll add around 3- 5x the run time in the lower to mid high range power usage. I needed a larger battery to run my 55# for the amount of hrs and conditions, hated carrying the extra weight of a 60lb sla battery so I researched and switched to using a 100ah Lifepo4 lithium it's much lighter with other great benefits. Expensive yes but worth it to me. Or look into changing to using a Torqeedo.
                          My MK 40 Endura has a PWM.
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                            19lbs
                            I can't wait for you to get out on the water and give us some feedback. Come on spring!
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              I can't wait for you to get out on the water and give us some feedback. Come on spring!
                              Me neither working on the title issue now.

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Sorry gents wasn't trying to start a debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X