Kayakbuddys OUTBOARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayakbuddys OUTBOARD

So the time ahs come. I have decided to put a 4stroke mini outboard motor on my Outback for the long trips on our larger bodies of water. I still intend to troll and travel via mirage drive once I reach my destination but this will allow me to go farther faster. I am really looking forward to this. Now all I need to do is figure out the best most efficient way to mount the motor. DIY or prefab design. Does anyone run some time of motor with a similar mounting bracket and if so could you post photos here. I have done a few searches with very limited results. http://www.kayakbuddys.com/small%20leg.html
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Go for it!!! I see no difference between that and a Torqeedo. Just one is a little quieter. I would suggest that you run the exhaust into the water just in front of the props. This will help with the noise in a huge way. Just sweat some copper fittings together from HD or Lowes. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Also keep us informed of how it works out for you. I think it is a great idea and have been thinking of doing it myself.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
      Go for it!!! I see no difference between that and a Torqeedo. Just one is a little quieter. I would suggest that you run the exhaust into the water just in front of the props. This will help with the noise in a huge way. Just sweat some copper fittings together from HD or Lowes. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Also keep us informed of how it works out for you. I think it is a great idea and have been thinking of doing it myself.
      Thanks for the vote of confidence.. will the copper be okay that hot? And yea a lil noise for some extra distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Well they use copper in steam boiler systems and they get 212+ degrees. Plus you will be moving so air flow across the piping will help with keeping it cool. Just use heavy duty copper piping.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Well they use copper in steam boiler systems and they get 212+ degrees. Plus you will be moving so air flow across the piping will help with keeping it cool. Just use heavy duty copper piping.
          Kool thanks

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Mounted up.

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

And it's still nice!!
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Thanks looking fwd to thaw out for sure!

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Just curious but what is your total investment?? I know the lower unit came from KayakBuddys.com but what about the upper unit?? Also the mount, home made or store bought??
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Just curious but what is your total investment?? I know the lower unit came from KayakBuddys.com but what about the upper unit?? Also the mount, home made or store bought??
                    $675 total the mount was more than i planned to spend but i got over excited and wanted to have it all set up and not have to try DIY lol plus its very clean .. the mount comes with a counter weight also which is nice

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Power equipment direct for motor. $244, kayakbuddys lower $229 shipped, islandhopperoutboards motor mount $189 shipped.....

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Looks great. Just a reminder to put a safety rope or chain to motor. They can vibrate loose and be gone in a heartbeat.

Comment

Thank you for heads up.

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Can you show pictures of the mount ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will at some point tomorrow if I don't by noon remind me as im at work now til 8am then have some errands. I have photos on my phone just no access at the moment.
                              Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
                              Can you show pictures of the mount ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                              X