This Is Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Interesting

Saw this on DIY Kayak Customization. It is a 50cc jet for kayaks.

FB_IMG_1515794489363.jpg

You could use it to get to your favorite fishing hole faster and then switch over to pedal/paddle power for that stealth mode.

Now I know some of you are going to be like; just get a boat, or that's not the true spirit of kayak fishing, or it's to noisy. But remember this, there are electric motors, and pedal drives as well as Fish Finders and SIT kayaks. I just thought it was interesting.

I feel that this just might be the next step in kayak fishing. Just look at the Solo Skiff.
    Last edited by Steve6902; 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM.
    2017 Hobie PA14

I forgot about this one. Which you could easily rig to fit in a Hobie well or some other pedal drive system.

FB_IMG_1515796336536.jpg
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for posting. Who makes the 50cc jet you spoke about in your OP?

Never heard of the Solo Skiff. Looks to me like they could improve the boat design in terms of accessible real estate.

smithmal
      smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
      Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

I've seen fully fledged jet kayaks for about 5k, which isn't that much more than a loaded pro angler and is less than an adventure island. It'd be pretty awesome. I don't think they've got the pedal drive also but one can't be too picky when you're doing 30mph over water that's 1 ft deep. I would love to have my current setup (or a Hobie) for inshore fishing, and a nice 22-25ft center console, or even a rigged up jetski for offshore fishing. But I won't get anything with a motor for a long time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kayakbuddys.com makes the prop one. They are out of Florida. The jet one is from Brazil.

As for the Solo Skiff, it is a 14 foot skiff that can handle a 5 HP motor. You can paddle it like a yak, or stand up on it like a paddle board. It only weights 150 and can fit in the back of a truck bed with a bed extender. Here is the link, https://www.soloskiff.com/fishing-kayak-specifications/
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Yea but then you need those ugly numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just get a boat.

Comment

And here we go. A kayak is technically a boat. As for the numbers on the side, it is what it is. If you put a Torqeedo you have to have them as well.
                If you just used it to get to your honey hole faster then switch over to the drive/paddle stealth mode.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

You get a boat ........ I’ll keep my ProAnglers ......... a yak is not a cheap substitute for a boat....... I can buy a couple of boats for what my PA’s cost.

Comment

Memory Maker, I never said a yak was a cheap substitute for a boat. Also Hobie does not classify the PA as a kayak, but as a boat. So you own a boat and I own a kayak, funny. What I said was WOW maybe this will get more people on a kayak fishing.

Here is an example; you drop in at Jonas Green Park on the Severn, however you need to go up stream say 5-10 miles for that's where the fish are biting. FYI the Severn is 14 miles long. You drop in your Mirage Drive and start out at say 3.5 mph. It will take you what, an hour and a half up to 3 hours of peddling to get there. Now, drop in a gas motor or even an electric and you cut your time in half. PLUS you are not exhausted, and your back and ass aren't sore. Then you pull the motor and drop in your drive for stealth fishing. Let's not forget you have to get back down the Severn. These devices are just like your fish finders. A tool to help you get too, find and stay on the fish. You could also use it for crabbing out of your kayak, I mean boat.

In closing I will say this; I am fascinated how an electric motor is okay on a yak but not a little 35-50cc gas motor. The Torqeedo is $2,000+ and weighs about 18Lbs. The Bixpy is $1,100 and weighs about 10 pounds. Now one of the gas motors is between $250-$600 and weighs around 20 pounds. Some people can't afford that kind of money on an electric, but maybe a gas motor they can swing. Plus how far does the battery get you and how long do they last before the need of replacement?? With gas your range is unlimited as long as you have fuel. My only concern would be vibration transferring to the hull and cracking it.

This is not an attack on Kayak Purist Fishing. For let's be honest, NONE of us are kayak purist with our; plastic kayak/boats, fish finders, pedal drives, Torqeedo, LED lights and the list goes on.
                    Last edited by Steve6902; 01-14-2018, 04:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                    X