Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year's target fish: Spanish Mackerel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year's target fish: Spanish Mackerel.

Not much of a thread, but I'm bored on my lunch break, so I figured I would just throw it out there. I really want to catch some spanish mackerel from my kayak this year. I caught a few down in FL with deepblue on the same charter that yielded much larger fish, but man, on light tackle, those things were fun. Just cooked up one of my freezer bags full of fillets, and I can see why they were my grandmother's favorite fish. Targeting them this summer might involve some longer trips, but I'm convinced it'll be worth it. I will also be in obx in June, so hopefully they'll be around.

So I guess what I'm saying is...if anyone has any tips or good spots to hit up this summer, let me know please? And if you're catching some and are willing to report it to me, I will gladly provide you with some smoked fish, which I've gotten quite good at making. Blues, king mackerel, spanish mackerel, your choice, assuming I've got some left in the freezer.

The times I've seen them have been a narrow window during the late summer-end of August/beginning of September when the water was warmest in the lower slower. I've had success trolling at a higher rate of speed then with rockfish. Granted, this was in my pre-kayak, power boating days. We were fishing around Point Lookout if I recall correctly. Their presence also seems dependent upon salinity and other variables it seems. Time will tell. Best of luck this year.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I haven't tried for them in my kayak, but I have read a lot about them on the main forum at tidalfish.com I would suggest researching them there.
      Seems to me they prefer a faster trolling speed in the 5mph range whereas rockfish were more in the 3-3.5mph range. Never really saw much about casting or jigging for them, though.
      Green Old Town Loon 111
      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

We caught plenty right out in front of the breakers in FL, while kayak trolling fairly slowly. I experimented with a few lures but they hit the usual small paddletail, gulp minnows, and hair jigs (which we were trying to catch bait on). I do think they may prefer speedier trolling but I doubt it'll matter too much if you find enough of them in an area. I think the toughest part will just be to find them in the bay...but that's why I've got friends/snaggedliners right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Most Spanish mackerel caught in the Maryland portion of the bay come by trolling. As noted above, troll at a speed faster than for stripers (4-6 knots)-- this is unlikely to sustainable for most kayakers. Gold spoons are commonly used to get their attention, but other lures work too.

When they are around (late summer/early fall), they can co-locate with schools of stripers and blues. If you cast out to breakers and work the lure extra fast around the edges, you may hook one. Occasionally you can see fish leaping in the air around the edges of breaking fish -- they may be Spanish.

I catch several Spanish mackerel each year while casting on the flats in Tampa Bay. I remember once I had cast out my lure when the guide said to pull up my anchor and move. I began cranking the jighead back to the kayak rapidly and was rewarded with a Spanish mackerel. The last Spanish I caught there was in mid-October. I was paddling quickly from one spot to another across a 3' deep grassy flat. I trolled a paddletail and soon hooked this feisty Spanish mackerel. They do have lots of sharp teeth.

2003-08-01 04-04-51.jpg 2003-08-01 04-04-58.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've picked up 2 Spanish in the Chesapeake Bay, one each in the last 2 CBKA tournaments I fished. The one was in the Chester River and the other in Eastern Bay, both came on small xr-8 xraps trolling along channel breaks. There were several boats trolling the same general area of Eastern Bay trolling for Spanish based on their speed.

Comment

Spanish mackerel have been on my list the past couple of years but it's
              always been too windy for me. I do, however, know of peeps who have
              them in the bay from their kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                I've picked up 2 Spanish in the Chesapeake Bay, one each in the last 2 CBKA tournaments I fished. The one was in the Chester River and the other in Eastern Bay, both came on small xr-8 xraps trolling along channel breaks. There were several boats trolling the same general area of Eastern Bay trolling for Spanish based on their speed.
                Good to know, thank you. Isn't the running joke that you pedal your yak between 8-12 mph though? Thats prime speed for Spanish mackerel I bet. But on a more serious note, maybe I should do the cbka tournament this year. I would like to do jbay also but I don't think that's even happening

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                  Good to know, thank you. Isn't the running joke that you pedal your yak between 8-12 mph though? Thats prime speed for Spanish mackerel I bet. But on a more serious note, maybe I should do the cbka tournament this year. I would like to do jbay also but I don't think that's even happening

Folks do seem to have some fun with that. Those 2 and others that I have caught trolling in Florida from the kayak were all caught at 3.5mph or less. Its always seemed to me the speed is just to weed out all the strippers and blues but who knows.

CBKA is good, you should fish it. Jbay will be missed but I'll probably try to work in a fishing trip there in mid may regardless. Great time of year to be fishing there.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                    Folks do seem to have some fun with that. Those 2 and others that I have caught trolling in Florida from the kayak were all caught at 3.5mph or less. Its always seemed to me the speed is just to weed out all the strippers and blues but who knows.

CBKA is good, you should fish it. Jbay will be missed but I'll probably try to work in a fishing trip there in mid may regardless. Great time of year to be fishing there.
                    Thanks for the info! Yeah John (silasvirus) and I were talking about a jbay trip even if there isn't a tournament, so we should organize an impromptu snaggedliners trip up there. I doubt we would be allowed to camp on the airfield, but there may be a decent hotel around where our kayaks would be safe in the parking lot overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                      Thanks for the info! Yeah John (silasvirus) and I were talking about a jbay trip even if there isn't a tournament, so we should organize an impromptu snaggedliners trip up there. I doubt we would be allowed to camp on the airfield, but there may be a decent hotel around where our kayaks would be safe in the parking lot overnight.
                      You can camp at the airfield I'm pretty sure. Those spots we usually stay are designated camping spots, but a hot shower might be a problem.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My target fish in Chesapeake Bay:
                        • Jan - Feb: Tautog
                        • June - July: Cobia
                        • July -Aug: Tarpon

Lake Anna:
                        • Hybrid striper over 22"

Joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          You can camp at the airfield I'm pretty sure. Those spots we usually stay are designated camping spots, but a hot shower might be a problem.
                          Yup, theres designated camping spots that can be reserved and a shower house with limited hours.

Comment

Good luck to all who expand their fishing to include species they specifically target...can’t think of any I haven’t already caught or that I want to, so I’ll stay in my comfort zone and fish for seasonal species of stripers, redfish white perch and speckled trout...Yak 67 has talked about us taking a “road trip” or two so that may give us an opportunity to fish for species common to the areas we visit...one of my favorite Florida fish is snook...love their fights...strong fish, great on the table too...Spanish Mack’s are pretty good on the grill...not so much in the pan...
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I caught these in Sept. 2015 over near Triton Beach. The Mackerel was jigged up with a Zman paddletail. As I recall a boater saw me catching fish and stopped. The lady jigged up a Mackerel also. It was mentioned in the DNR fishing report for the week of Sept. 19 2015. http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisher...asp?d=09232015

photo_2015-09-19_20-58-01.jpg
                              Last edited by Goody; 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM.

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X