Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This year's target fish: Spanish Mackerel.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Thanks for the info! Yeah John (silasvirus) and I were talking about a jbay trip even if there isn't a tournament, so we should organize an impromptu snaggedliners trip up there. I doubt we would be allowed to camp on the airfield, but there may be a decent hotel around where our kayaks would be safe in the parking lot overnight.
    You can camp at the airfield I'm pretty sure. Those spots we usually stay are designated camping spots, but a hot shower might be a problem.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

My target fish in Chesapeake Bay:
    • Jan - Feb: Tautog
    • June - July: Cobia
    • July -Aug: Tarpon

Lake Anna:
    • Hybrid striper over 22"

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    You can camp at the airfield I'm pretty sure. Those spots we usually stay are designated camping spots, but a hot shower might be a problem.
    Yup, theres designated camping spots that can be reserved and a shower house with limited hours.

Good luck to all who expand their fishing to include species they specifically target...can’t think of any I haven’t already caught or that I want to, so I’ll stay in my comfort zone and fish for seasonal species of stripers, redfish white perch and speckled trout...Yak 67 has talked about us taking a “road trip” or two so that may give us an opportunity to fish for species common to the areas we visit...one of my favorite Florida fish is snook...love their fights...strong fish, great on the table too...Spanish Mack’s are pretty good on the grill...not so much in the pan...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I caught these in Sept. 2015 over near Triton Beach. The Mackerel was jigged up with a Zman paddletail. As I recall a boater saw me catching fish and stopped. The lady jigged up a Mackerel also. It was mentioned in the DNR fishing report for the week of Sept. 19 2015. http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisher...asp?d=09232015

photo_2015-09-19_20-58-01.jpg
    Last edited by Goody; 01-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    I caught these in Sept. 2015 over near Triton Beach. The Mackerel was jigged up with a Zman paddletail. As I recall a boater saw me catching fish and stopped. The lady jigged up a Mackerel also. It was mentioned in the DNR fishing report for the week of Sept. 19 2015. http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fisher...asp?d=09232015

photo_2015-09-19_20-58-01.jpg
    That's a big mac right there! The girl in the fishing report pic seems very leery to hold that fish. It's good to know that mackerel are at least accessible within a 1-2 hour drive from my house in the summer. I assume triton beach is the same thing as beverly triton? Thank you for the post.

ive targeting them by boat and kayak for the past 5 years. never hooked up and have only seen 1 fly out of the water, along the naval rock wall coming out of spa creek oddly enough