Rod Reel Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Reel Suggestions

As a new member of the SnaggedLine forum and relatively new to Kayak Fishing...I am looking to buy a couple of rod/reel setups for Light Tackle Jigging for Stripers...I'm aware that there is no "perfect rod-reel combo" that exists but wanted to get the opinion of some of the more seasoned anglers that frequent this site. (Sidenote: looking for suggestions for spinning reels)

Trying to figure out the optimal combo in the $100-$200 range, as well as the $200-$300 range as I am looking to buy a few rods before the spring.

As of now I am leaning towards:

Penn Battle II combo - size 4000. Looks to be around $120
    Shimano stradic ST4000FK reel - Looks to be around $200. (would pair this with an Ugly Stik)

I am looking for reels that are not tooo heavy duty as I also want to do some Bass fishing. All suggestions are welcome. Interested to see if any setups are particularly popular.
    Last edited by Crabs4Christmas; 01-08-2018, 06:30 PM.

I'm sure I won't be the last to suggest it...but look into the new daiwa BG for spinning reels. Hands down the best spinning reel you can get for under about $120…at least in terms of the sizes appropriate for kayak fishing. The 2500 or 3000 size should be perfect for every fish we see up here in the bay. The ugly stik elite is a really nice rod for the price, but I don't have any experience with rods outside of ugly stiks, so I'm just as interested as you are for those recs. Check Alan hawks website for spinning reel reviews.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with yakscientist. A 2500 or 3000 is perfect for fishing the Bay. My favorite set up is a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on a Backyard Custom Rod. It is a bit of an investment, but it is the most sensitive and lightest setup I have found that I love to fish with. On the lower end, I like using Shimano Sahara 2500s and BassPro Bionic Blades. Their Carbolite rods are pretty good as well. If you want save and don't mind second hand equipment, check online and go to the fishing flea markets over the winter. The Tri-State flea market tends to have some good second hand equipment for sale. You just have to make sure you go early because they will sell quick. I got a great deal on a nice baitcast combo last year.
      Tommy
      2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
      Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
      https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

I concur with the previous commenters about reel size. For LTJ on stripers in the bay, a 2500 or 3000 size reel is fine. I used to own several 4000 size and one 5000 size reels but sold them because of their weight.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

J&H Tackle in New York (https://www.jandh.com/) has a nice Daiwa BG Combo that sells for around $130, and I think you can get free shipping if you register for an account with them. I picked one up last offseason as a second trolling rod, and I've been very happy with it.
          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

The BG is a good suggestion and so is the Battle II in your price range. I think you can get by with $100-$150 per combo and still have some very nice rigs. The St Croix premier in ML, M, MH (I prefer 6'6" rods) are nice do everything sticks and if you prefer a split handles I believe cabelas carries them in a split handle configuration or you can get the same blank on their mojo bass series. The Mojo Bass has a few other options and I am particularly fond of the 6'9" ML and 6'8" M extra fast. Another good all around stick to look at would be the Shimano Teremar in M or MH. They are not as sensitive as the st croix's but they are crazy durable and will stand up to anything you can catch in the bay.

Again, welcome to the site and glad to see you can post now!
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Appreciate all of the input. Definitely helped me make a decision. Ended up going with a Daiwa BG size 3000 reel and a St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7' rod.

Also got an Ugly Stik Striper spinning rod that I will pair with an older reel. Thanks for the advice a tight lines!

Comment

Working...
              X