Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY standing area for kayaks with foot wells.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY standing area for kayaks with foot wells.

So since everything is frozen and I needed an afternoon project I headed to Home Depot to pick up some supply’s to make my Malibu 2xl an even greater solo fishing platform. In the spring and summer I really like to stand up paddle around and sight cast. But with the foot wells in the older style of ocean kayaks it doesn’t make this task all that comfortable. So I picked up a 8’ trim board (7.99) as well as a indoor outdoor door mat (2.99) and got to work on this project. All you need past that is a staple gun. Wrap the trim board with the mat, staple it down and your all set.
    On the bottom of the board I cut up an old stadium foam pad to add some support to the kayak as well as stapled the grip side up so the boards would not slide around.

The best part about all of this is that nothing is fixed to the kayak.

I still have my foot wells when paddling and the board store neatly on the sides of the seating area. Then when your ready to stand. Grab them place them in the front and your all ready to stand up and paddle.
    Hope this inspires people to think of ideas of how to rig there kayaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Nice creative idea. I added two pieces of high density foam to lay on the floor below the foot rests. My heels would get sore after having weight on them for several hours. The additional padding on the floor helped with the pressure on the heels. You can see one of the black foam pads in the photo below.

20160907_144733_resized.jpg

I don't know what type of metal staples you used to construct your pads. If it is regular steel, be prepared for some rusting.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Nice creative idea. I added two pieces of high density foam to lay on the floor below the foot rests. My heels would get sore after having weight on them for several hours. The additional padding on the floor helped with the pressure on the heels. You can see one of the black foam pads in the photo below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22806[/ATTACH]

I don't know what type of metal staples you used to construct your pads. If it is regular steel, be prepared for some rusting.
      The rust is a good point I didn’t think of, I will pick up some paint to give them a couple of quick coats. I plan to only use these in freshwater so hopefully it won’t rust up as fast. If they do it was cheap enough that I can make 3 sets, only have to pick up another doormat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
      X