Old Dogs can learn “new tricks”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Dogs can learn “new tricks”

This past year I pretty much decided I would try to make my fishing as enjoyable as possible and go strictly with light spinning tackle, down size everything and enjoy smaller, more abundant fish...all my life I had chased bigger and bigger fish requiring heavier tackle...after satisfying all my personal “bucket lists” (I missed one - never broke the 1000 pounder) I decided to go back to my roots...so this year I am putting last year’s learning experiences into my bag of “tricks.” All single hooks on lures, and more barbless hooks for easier C&R with fewer gut hooked fish...and no mono or floro leaders in salt water.

My favorite casting outfit is a 7’ St. Croix medium-light Mojo Inshore rod with a 2500 Shimano Stradics CI-4(+) Reel loaded with KastKing 10# braid...great for old farts throwing a 1/8 oz jighead swimbait or a mini crankbait...for tossing top water poppers I use a Shimano 3000 Sustain FG Reel with 20# Cabela’s Braid on a 7 foot medium action Shimano SE Inshore rod...this year the wife got me my Christmas present outfit I plan to fish hard and give an honest review- a Lews Mach Speed Stick 6’9” medium, all purpose rod with a Daiwa 2500 BG with 12# KastKing Braid...

For catfishing I still use Abu NaCL Revo Toro low profile baitcasters loaded with 30# braid on 7’ medium heavy St Croix Avid X rods
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron, sounds like a good plan! Light tackle is a blast and I get that but why no leaders? To me the leader is not entirely about abrasion resistance to the fish's mouth or surrounding rocks/obstacles but it's also a grab handle for dealing with the fish. Do you plan on wearing gloves?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I wear fingerless gloves mostly for sun protection, but also against fish spines and grabbing Braid...last year I broke off at the knot where the braid and leader are paired on a big cow nose ray...since fish were biting I decided to just tie directly to the 10# braid...first cast was my first Maryland citation spotted sea trout of 24 1/2 inches...The SMOG crew was fishing together when I caught the trout...no Leader...and I caught four more Specks afterwards, so it seemed to me that the green colored braid had no effect on fish and the Albright knot on the jighead gives me a stronger, less things to fail, opportunity not to lose a fish...

Comment

Last year was a year of learning for me as well, only I went in the opposite direction. My usual outfits were 4 or 4 1/2" ultralight rods with 500 size reels and 2-4lb test. I purposefully went a little larger than I wanted to on reel sizes (4-5000) when buying my kayak rods/reels, but I would rather have the spool capacity available if I want it vs having to go out and buy a whole new reel. Santa did bring me a couple Daiwa 2000BG's to try out this year on a couple daiwa generation black rods I picked up overseas. Hopefully the hype around the BG reels is warranted. I used to be shimano all the way, but Daiwa has really been impressing me recently.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I applaud going light weight but please remember that a long battle with a fish in hot water will have a higher probability of delayed mortality if released. When summer time rolls around think about stepping up the line weight to 8-10 pounds to let you get the fish in quicker. Still a lot of fun and who doesn’t like a green fish thrashing around the kayak.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike- for the fishing we do I consider my light outfit the CI4(+) Stradics with 10#...still plenty of rod and reel...remember our battles with those damn CNRs? It caught three of my best fish this past year...seems like the biggest fish always hit the light rod...I only fish UL for the spring Rainbow trout in the fresh water lakes...

Comment

Ron -

I agree with you about 95%. I have done offshore fishing in the past and enjoyed the excitement, but am no longer interested in the huge time commitment and cost. I fished many times last year -- all with light tackle (ultralight to med-heavy rods) and spinning reels in the 1000, 2500, or 3000 size classes. That is my "fishing comfort zone" at this point in my life.

Regarding the 5% difference in opinion, I am a firm believer in leaders. For much of my local fishing, a mono leader is sufficient, but when fishing in clearer waters, I choose fluorocarbon. I occasionally lose a fish from breakage at the line/leader knot (I use a double uni), but usually it breaks elsewhere. I too wear fishing gloves, bit still find that grabbing braided line directly can lead to skin cuts.

I look forward to warmer weather and ice-free waters to resume fishing.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sound like a great plan. I caught onto light tackle from learning to light tackle jig from my boat. When I got my kayak, I just used the same equipment. I primarily fish the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries. For the typical fish I catch from my kayak, 2500 Stradics and medium to medium/heavy rods are perfect. If I know that I will be targeting big fish, bring the appropriate tackle on my trip. I do prefer to use leader for the abrasion resistance and being able to grab it to handle fish. I use a triple surgeons knot and have never had a knot slip on me.
                Tommy
                2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
                Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
                https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Can't abide fishing topwater lures with braid directly tied to spooks and poppers. It is so limp that it always seems to foul the front hooks. I prefer flourocarbon because it is stiffer and seems to make those lures work best.....bbut i'm cheap so I usually use 12-15lb mono.
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Don't forget that the leader serves as a "line saver." You end up going through less braid, just replace the leader as it gets shorter.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

I know all the reasons for using leaders and concur with them.

But I like them for another reason. It's weird, but I enjoy tying the double uni knot to connect the leader to the braid and also I like tying the loop knot to make the leader to lure connection.

Maybe I should check out some Macrame forums...just kidding.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have noticed knot failures under extreme pressure of fighting CNRs only with Red Label florocarbon...like the braid actually cuts the 20# florocarbon but not had any failures with 20# Berkeley Trilene monofilament....and I use double Uni knots-to join the lines together...and it has happened three different times...so If I do use Leader it will not be floro

Comment

Ron,

Obviously you are catching fish that are too big. Just catch small fish like me and you'll never have to worry about your lines breaking!

Seriously, I too like Trilene, especially XL. I also use it for tippet when warm water fly fishing. I use a double surgeons knot for that connection and have never had a failure...again, catching small fish is the key.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ron, I agree...knot strength and effective ness is not as good with fluorocarbon....no doubt.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yeah, even tried the “Alberto knot” and the double double uni knot...same results...nearing the breaking strength of the line, the braid cuts the floro like a knife...the FG knot seems better, but mono is so much more dependable and cheaper

Comment

Working...
                              X