new event proposal....take kid fishing, April 21/22 Bushwood catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new event proposal....take kid fishing, April 21/22 Bushwood catfish

I'd like to propose a new event that I would host. Many of us have young people in our lives that we'd love to fish with. Problem is 1) safe place, 2) reliable catching of keepable fish, 3) ability to quit when kid tired, 4) make a memory

bushwood wharf provides all that in late April, early May.....I propose April 21 or 22. I have some extra kayaks i can loan and other snaggedliners have offered tandems for such an event. I can pick up bait for some of the participants. Worms, meheddon, shrimp, spot all work....but perch is best. frozen perch is available locally.

let me address all the concerns
    1)--Safe place: There is very little boat traffic at bushwood that time of year. Though you can go far from ramp, you can stay fairly close to shore
    2) reliable catch of keepable fish: During this period, there is totally reliable blue cats in the 18-24" range with a chance of bigger. They are hanging out in this area after having followed the perch spawning up various creeks. In pic above, I took this young lady fishing, she caught 7 nice cats in an hour. about 7-10 min. between fish. enough time to learn to wait, but fast enough to stay interested. It is the most reliable a fishing location i know of.
    3) ability to quit at child's request: if fishing is reliable, grown ups are more willing to quit when child needs them too.I asked this gal how many she wanted to catch before we started fishing. She said "10".....after fish #6 she say's, "I think 7 will be enough."...we caught one more and went home
    4) make memories---Bushwood is a bit of a haul for some, but that can make it a good adventure. Unusual location, ability to make special stops to and from (ice cream and such), a fish they likely would not catch in numbers at home. Great eating when you get home or freeze for later (blue cat freezes great). Fish are large enough to be a tussle, but able to be handled on kids own poles usually.

Anyway, if there is interest .....i'll host.

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
    I'd like to propose a new event that I would host. Many of us have young people in our lives that we'd love to fish with. Problem is 1) safe place, 2) reliable catching of keepable fish, 3) ability to quit when kid tired, 4) make a memory

bushwood wharf provides all that in late April, early May.....I propose April 21 or 22. I have some extra kayaks i can loan and other snaggedliners have offered tandems for such an event. I can pick up bait for some of the participants. Worms, meheddon, shrimp, spot all work....but perch is best. frozen perch is available locally.

let me address all the concerns
    1)--Safe place: There is very little boat traffic at bushwood that time of year. Though you can go far from ramp, you can stay fairly close to shore
    2) reliable catch of keepable fish: During this period, there is totally reliable blue cats in the 18-24" range with a chance of bigger. They are hanging out in this area after having followed the perch spawning up various creeks. In pic above, I took this young lady fishing, she caught 7 nice cats in an hour. about 7-10 min. between fish. enough time to learn to wait, but fast enough to stay interested. It is the most reliable a fishing location i know of.
    3) ability to quit at child's request: if fishing is reliable, grown ups are more willing to quit when child needs them too.I asked this gal how many she wanted to catch before we started fishing. She said "10".....after fish #6 she say's, "I think 7 will be enough."...we caught one more and went home
    4) make memories---Bushwood is a bit of a haul for some, but that can make it a good adventure. Unusual location, ability to make special stops to and from (ice cream and such), a fish they likely would not catch in numbers at home. Great eating when you get home or freeze for later (blue cat freezes great). Fish are large enough to be a tussle, but able to be handled on kids own poles usually.

Anyway, if there is interest .....i'll host.

I might be interested, where is bushwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bushwood is on the Wicomico river in St Mary’s. Closest major landmark is St Clement’s Island but it’s a few miles away from that.

Alternatively Bushwood is the country club in Caddyshack which inexplicably was supposedly located in Nebraska.
      Last edited by Big Mike; 01-06-2018, 08:53 PM.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I really enjoyed fishing there last April. My fiancé and I would be happy to help out.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

briansoutside, rugbyfish.....sounds good. It should be fun

Comment

That’s a bit of a hike for me and a five year old. I’ll keep it in mind though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, great thing about catfish, you dont have to start early!

Comment

I have a nephew that would like to do it I'm sure. Not sure what my schedule will be yet but I'm interested.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                  I have a nephew that would like to do it I'm sure. Not sure what my schedule will be yet but I'm interested.
                  cool....i sure hopeit works out

Comment

Working...
                  X