Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going out today ...

Default Anyone going out today ...

.......... just put up a sail and start a new sport ......... Iceyaking

Quote Originally Posted by Memory Maker View Post
    .......... just put up a sail and start a new sport ......... Iceyaking
    I'm actually stunned that there's still open water on my community lake. I think the geese have been swimming some fast laps at night to keep it open.

Too cold to go outside for picture but you can see the dark open water. Time to chunk a minnow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I was just going to start a new post...

"you guys who fish year round, its cold as f@(% today, godspeed and don't fall-in!"
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

There is a lot of ice in the coastal bays and most of the coastal creeks are iced solid. Inlet temps have plummeted too; doubt tog will bite.

I sure hope all the specks in the Chessy have found deep, warm holes to hang out in. It sure would be a shame to see the the trout fishery take a dive again for the next couple years.

I think the ice is here until Spring strikes...December was cold...no question about it...January has been brutal...every night this week my outside digital thermometer has been in single digits...that is cold...32 degrees seems warm in comparison...I share your concerns about the speckled trout and Redfish...the last big fish kill had a similar winter..my memory seems to remember that it got down to 9 degrees below zero that winter...seems like maybe 5 years ago, but can’t be sure...surface ice in the bay will quickly melt if we get some moderation in the daytime tempetures and I figure we can get to the bluecatfish whenever the weather permits...but I am staying inside a warm house until I see that happening...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Bob View Post
    There is a lot of ice in the coastal bays and most of the coastal creeks are iced solid. Inlet temps have plummeted too; doubt tog will bite.

I sure hope all the specks in the Chessy have found deep, warm holes to hang out in. It sure would be a shame to see the the trout fishery take a dive again for the next couple years.
    They had an emergency closure of the speck fishery in NC due to the cold stun. I have the same concerns as you, it's a shame to see a fishery that was starting to rebound, really crash again.

It will be a shame If the specs don't make it. I did fish the Patapsco on Wednesday. Wt was 35 degrees. I went over to the power plant and found much warmer water but no fish.

Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyfish View Post
    i was afraid of that
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Hopefully the fishery was healthy enough to weather (pardon the pun) this setback. Losing 50 or 75% of a healthy population is a heckuva lot better than losing 50 to 75% of a population that was barely holding on to begin with.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna