Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub forum for Making Fishing Videos to share techniques and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub forum for Making Fishing Videos to share techniques and tips?

I know many of us carry Video Cameras when fishing. Also all of us carry smart phones for any events.
    I am wondering if there are enough members who thinks a new sub forum for video making is useful. The new sub forum will be used to share knowledge on system specs, video editors, techniques and tips. I think it is a good idea to have all video making topics in one place (the video sub-forum).

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I think it’s a great idea

Comment

Great Idea.

Digital Video gear has become an affordable luxury and much more commonplace.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I think that's a a great idea. We all love making fishing videos.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like a good idea Joe. I always like seeing the DIY innovations that folks come up with.
          J

Comment

Just got a GoPro from the wife for Xmas. Definitely going to be posting once it warms up. Not gonna get pro level running 5 GoPros simultaneously lol. A sub would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
              Just got a GoPro from the wife for Xmas. Definitely going to be posting once it warms up. Not gonna get pro level running 5 GoPros simultaneously lol. A sub would be good

Do you have a video editor? Do you have a PC (Windows)? There are good free software for hobbyist like me. I am reviewing 3 different video editors at $ 55 - $ 90 (one time pay), and an editor at $10 monthly fee. The review will be done in 2 weeks. So, check this thread. I will post my reviews. Meanwhile if you have a PC (you need 16 GB ram, a 4GB video card, Intel i7), try Windows Movie Maker (free). It is discontinued but you can still down load (Windows essential 16). All my 300 + fishing videos were edited using Windows Movie Maker.

Joe
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Ha! was sitting at dinner last night watching your videos with a buddy. We gotta go fishing together soon.

Comment

I'm dancing with the thought of jumping into some filming and amateur editing, and this sub is something I would absolutely pay close attention to. Big thumbs up to that idea!
                  Matt
                  Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                  2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                  10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Having a sub-forum like that would at least light a fire under my butt to start editing some video. Now that I think about it, I feel kinda dumb for making sure I have 1 or 2 gopros running when I fish and then just leaving the footage on an external hard drive.

I have a beast of a workstation at work that needs something to do during lunch and after hours anyway.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I am almost done reviewing the following video editors (90%). I am reviewing them for Fishing and home event videos. All these come with features more than average hobbyists need:

Current Status:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC - I ditched it after 2.5 hours. I was able to do title/sub title and add an embeded video on the video on the base video track. I found that this software is not for hobbyists. it is very difficult to use. The software is beyond my capacity. Also you need to pay subscription fee after the initial purchase.

Software under $60 dollars I am reviewing:

Corel Video Studio - I am ditching Corel Video Studio because it has some issues. It crashes often. Video quality during the edit is horrible (not acceptible anymore). It won't play video seamlessly during the edit (Totally not aceptible). I think it may not use CPU or other resources effectively than other video editors. Or I need a beefed up my computer for this software. Now I understand the complaints about Corel Video Studio.

Filmora - I like this one a lot. The learning time for 90% of the features was about 4 hours. It comes with split screen features. But I will be using embeded videos. For example, I can put multiple video footage for multiple groups to split screen or bunch of the embeded videos (such as tog fishing scene, speck fishing scene, cobia fishing scene, striper fishing scene on one screen) This comes with unlimited video tracks (compare to 3 on other software). So I can have unlimited number of embeded videos. There are good transition features when overlay the base video with an embeded video. With this editor, I can make an almost-professionally-made wadding video from wadding to honeymoon.

Power Director 16 Ultra - Similar to Filmora. Some features are better than that of Filmora while some aren't. 3 video tracks are OK. But some day I may want more for other family events. The learning curve is about the same as that of Filmora

Now I am comparing Filmora and Power Director only. Soon I will post the final review results

Joe

Comment

This is a great idea. I just went through this process a few weeks ago. I had so much footage, but never took the time to edit and post. I'm making the time now. It's a bit cold to fish, so mine as well. In the videos I am editing now, I just used one GoPro Hero 5. I just bought a second one to have second perspective.

For video editing, I was using Windows Movie Maker before I started my new YouTube Channel. On my old channel I also used the GoPro Quik App on my phone to edit some videos. It worked great until I wanted to create text and graphic call outs. I could not do audio overlays either. My current laptop or desktop could not handle any decent video editing software. I was evaluating Adobe Premiere Elements at the time. I was about to invest in a new PC or Mac for editing. I build my own desktops, so I naturally looked into upgrading my current desktop, but saw that the price for parts were quickly getting expensive when it comes to video editing. I found a great online video editor that currently meets my needs. It is called WeVideo. This allows me to make decent videos without having to buy a video editing computer. Below is a review of it like Joe posted previously.

WeVideo - WeVideo is the online video editor that makes it easy to capture, create, view and share your movies at up to 4K resolution for stunning playback anywhere. This line is quoted from there website, but it really is easy to use to edit videos. It is subscription based, so you pay monthly or annually to use it. There are 3 packages you can purchase. I chose the midde option, which gives you my most bang for your buck in my opinion. Right now, you pay $15.99 monthly or $95.88 annually for the Ultimate package. You can also try it for free to see what potential it has. The learning curve is not so bad if you have used some type of video editor before. They also have good how to videos and instructions in their support section. There are also good how to YouTube videos. I could even help you out if you like. You get decent motion tiles, call outs, music, sound effects, etc. Editing is pretty smooth. The biggest reason I chose to use WeVideo was because it allowed me to create decent videos without having to purchase a new video editing computer. I am starting to see some limitations when it comes having custom titles and call outs. You pretty much have to use what they have or use a different tool to make it and import it into your video. Another downside is that you have to upload your videos online, so if you have a slow connection, it will take while. This could be a problem if you are editing in a hotel with slow service.

I will continue to use WeVideo for now, but will likley purchase or build a video editing computer and use some higher end software. I'll let you guys know what I decide when I get to that point. If you would like to see some of the video I made with WeVideo, please click the link in my signature.
                        Last edited by TomyTek; 01-08-2018, 08:33 PM.
                        Tommy
                        2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
                        https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Thank you TomyTek for the additional info.

My typical total size of the raw footage loaded to the video editor for one project is about 20-30 GB, and average 40 - 70 footage per projects. My goal is making 5 minute videos for kayak fishing usually. So, too many online interactions during the editing will cause a huge issues I think. I have very good footage from Lake Anna Striper Fishing the other day (It was pretty cold day 1F - 20 F air temp). For the first time I will be using a new software (not Windows Movie Maker). So this will take time. With the new video I can explain the new features that don't come with Windows Movie Maker.

Thanks
                          Joe

Comment

I look forward to it!
                            Bill
                            Nucanoe Frontier 12

Comment

You're welcome Joe. I'm happy to be able to share the little knowledge I have.
                              I also typically work with about 20-30 GB of footage. The cool thing with WeVideo is that you can start uploading your videos and continue to work. You can even place them in the timeline before they are completely uploaded. Last night, I started uploading about 12GB of footage and took a shower. By the time I was done, all of my footage was uploaded.

What are the specs of the computer you are using to edit your videos? I will post mine when I get home. It really does matter depending on which software you plan on using. Right now, I am using WeVideo on my Mom’s old computer. It’s probably close to 10 years old. It is a Dell Optiplex 745 with a Pentium 2.8Ghz Dual Core and 4GB of RAM. The video has no RAM on it. It just says Microsoft Basic Display Adapter for the name. So far, WeVideo is working ok. It is a little laggy, but manageable.

I am also evaluating HitFilm Express and Adobe Premiere Elements. I’ll post my thoughts after I use them for a bit. I’m planning to make of a video with each of them to see which works best for my needs.
                              It would also be good to share what cameras and mounts we use. I’m trying to figure out where I want to mount my cameras. I’ve used my GoPro upfront with two mounting options so far. I will eventually make a video showing what I use and how I have my cameras setup.
                              Tommy
                              2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Working...
                              X